We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

NH
9 posts
Save Topic
Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Hi,

Just need help, here are our tentative plans. It will just be my husband and I and we love to hike and just enjoy nature. What we like is animals and just peaceful nature. (Do not really want crowds)

6-13 fly into SLC spend night in local hotel- from NH so it will be a long day

6-14 and 6-15 staying two nights at Jenny Lake lodge we can't change this. When we booked at lower rate we can not get a refund

-two nights at OFI

- one night mammoth

-one night at lake hotel

-two nights at canyon

-drive to SLC spend night and fly out next day.

Is this too much time in the park? Should I consider night a Cody?

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

I think you are going at a great time and spending the right amount of time in the Park. Jenny Lake Lodge sounds amazing and the Tetons are spectacular! So I don't think you should change that even if you could

My only tweak would be to say that Lake and Canyon are pretty close together so both are not needed. I have stayed at Lake several times. Love the lobby. Hate the rooms. But I hear that they have renovated. The unrenovated rooms are old, dingy, dirty and have uncomfortable beds. I go at the end of May so I have limited options for what is open.

However, if you want to experience the lobby and dinner, then keep your Lake reservation. If not, switch it to canyon. From there, you can easily go north toLamaror south to Hayden for early morning wildlife viewing.

I hope you have a great trip!!!

NH
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

We have reserved a renovated room with a lake view, so hopefully it will be okay. But I will continue to check to see if we have an option to spend an extra night at the canyon.

Thank you for your help!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Too much time? LOL One can never have too much time in the park! You are so lucky, especially with secure reservations.

I personally love to move to numerous locations for solitary early morning & evening wildlife & sunrise/sunset viewing in different areas.

One of your days you could drive out the northeast entrance for the scenic Beartooth highway to Rock Creek Vista & back:

www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/byways/2281/maps

I always prefer the park over Cody, but if you are interested in an evening rodeo & the museum that is an option.

Then you could drive the Beartooth to Rock Vista & instead of coming back into the park, drive the Scenic Chief Joseph Hwy (also on map above) to Cody to spend the night for rodeo & museum.

Edited: 9:49 am, February 08, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,599 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Never too much time in Yellowstone. I do not like to move around for one night so would see if you can get all your lodging at either Lake or Canyon when you are on the east side of the park.

NH
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Tend to really sweat about the details when it comes to vacation and this is an important one, I've dreamed of going to Yellowstone since I was 4 so just really want to do this one right.

Definitely want to do a least one morning in Lamar Valley & drive the Beartooth Highway.

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Good looking plan. As mentioned, you can never have too much time in the park!

For access to animals and a little less crowded conditions, you might want to look at Roosevelt Lodge. If there is availability that fits, you could drop the night at Mammoth and at Canyon and have two nights at Roosevelt (or at least make a trade for one night at Roosevelt).

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Yes! Yes!- to Roosevelt if you can get a cabin for your time in Lamar wildlife viewing. We had no problem with the cabins with bathhouses nearby. Check for cancellations periodically daily.

Great suggestion from OHick to try to switch out for Roosevelt so you can get into Lamar at first light for wolf watching. Look for the folks with the scopes!

PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

We made our 1st trip to Yellowstone in June & want to return. It was a fantastic vacation. It looks like you have 8 nights in YNP. We really liked an overnight in Cody. Their Buffalo Bill Museum (new name now?) is amazing and the rodeo (nightly) was so much fun. If you decide to go there, you can include the Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Hwy. & return to YNP on the scenic Buffalo Bill Hwy. All 3 of these routes have amazing scenery.

Do you drive through Grand Tetons when you come from Salt Lake City? This park is breathtakingly beautiful. The Tetons make the White Mountains look like 'toddlers'! :)

(Used to live in VT.!)

Have a great time!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

Agree with the others that (since your focus is wildlife) Roosevelt would be an ideal location for 1-2 nights. If you can't secure reservations at Roosevelt, Cooke City is a viable alternative.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too Many Hotels? Too much time in YNP

<<Is this too much time in the park?>>

My immediate reaction was the same as the others, that there is no such thing. Especially since "we love to hike and just enjoy nature. What we like is animals and just peaceful nature." Book sufficient time so that you CAN enjoy the wildlife and the scenery at a leisurely pace, not rushing around as though you were still in the heavily-scheduled rat race back home. You cannot see everything so don't even hold that thought in your head. ENJOY what you see and remember that the rest of the park will still be there for your next trip.