We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone accomodation

Armidale, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
yellowstone accomodation

Me, my wife and 2 young teenage children are visiting the USA in Aug and Sept. Or trip includes 4 or 5 nights in Yellowstone and about the same in Glacier. However, all accomodation appears to be booked out in Yellowstone. This has me very concerned. What are my options?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone accomodation

Keep checking the Xanterra website because cancellations will occur. We came in September and was able to get lodging in Feb. and the rest in June. If you want back up reservations book something in West Yellowstone or Gardiner (we prefer West Yellowstone) and then cancel them when you get in park lodging. Just be aware of the cancellation policies for hotels out of the park.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Found that it was a little more difficult to get in park lodging when we went to Glacier. They do not have the number of choices imo that Yellowstone does. I think it is especially true in the Many Glacier area. In fact we had to stay in Kalispell because never found the days that we needed.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone accomodation

What week are you planning to be in Yellowstone? The reason I ask is because I just did a check of the Xanterra website and there is still a lot of availability throughout the park for the last week of August and first week of September. For a start, the cabins at Canyon and Lake both have a lot of availability. Old Faithful Inn has a couple of sporadic days throughout this time in one of their shared bathroom rooms. Grant Village has a lot of availability and I didn't check any of the others such as Mammoth.

When you do a check of a hotel on the Xanterra website, don't immediately let yourself be put of by the first page that comes up showing everything is sold. Make sure you play around with the different room types first.

Also whilst I agree to nab something now and then change as bookings open up, do be aware of the hidden costs of booking and cancelling hotels from overseas. I have made quite a few changes in the process of booking my upcoming trip, and luckily all of the places I had booked had generous cancellation policies. However, between the differences in the exchange rate, and overseas credit card fees, I have lost money during every transaction (both the payments and the refunds). It hasn't been enough to lose sleep over, but worth avoiding if you can help it.

If you book some of the available, cheaper accommodation in Yellowstone (e.g the cabins) and then decide you want to upgrade when you spot an opening in another room type, ring up Xanterra to upgrade and pay the extra cost rather than cancelling and rebooking. From my experience the call is cheaper than the bank fees. In saying that, I'm looking forward to my stay in a cabin. With 4 of us it will be very 'cosy', but it's all part of the experience.

My suggestion is to sit down very quickly and sketch out a driving plan for your time in Yellowstone. Start with what gates you will be entering and exiting as this will help with your accommodation choices. Also, decide what your viewing priorities are (e.g. Wildlife, geysers, the canyon etc) as this will also help decide where you stay.

The people on here are wonderful for giving you suggestions. Then book, book, book asap.

If you are coming into Yellowstone during September, road closures may affect your accommodation choices.

3. Re: yellowstone accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 29, 2015