We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

My fiancé and I are taking a delayed honeymoon to Jackson/Yellowstone this summer. We both love the outdoors and adventures, and figured this would be a great first trip together since neither of us has been to the area. The downfall is we only have a week to spend on our trip. We would like to see as many of the highlights as we can, so we are looking for any suggestions on hikes, climbs, activities, restaurants, etc that are a must see/do while we are out there. Any tips are welcome!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

Flying? Into where? Are you thinking 7 days with days 1 & 7 being flight days? That would give you 5 actual touring days, so you would probably want to split 2 nights Grand Tetons, 3 nights Yellowstone, last night before you fly out back in Jackson if that is your airport of choice.

Pam

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

I guess I should have explained the trip a little more...We are flying, we are planning on flying into Bozeman, MT on Friday, landing around noon. Then we are staying in Big Sky, MT with friends Friday and Saturday night. I was then thinking we would drive (rental car) down to the Grand Tetons and stay in Jackson (unless it's better to stay elsewhere?) Sunday and Monday night. So that would give use about 2 days in Grand Tetons. Then Tuesday we could drive to Yellowstone and camp at a site (again unless there is a better option? we are thinking the Canyon campsite) in the park Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday night. Then Friday will would drive back to Big Sky to spend the night, flying home on Saturday.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

OK, good plan. Thank s for sharing the details. I would suggest one tweak and that would be to stay Sunday night at Old Faithful in one of the cabins if you are looking for inexpensive lodging. That will give you almost a full day in the geyser areas from Madison Jct down to Old Faithful. Then do Monday and Tuesday in Jackson or Grand Tetons (not my area of expertise), then back to Canyon on Wed and Thurs, Friday in Big Sky and then sadly back home with a suitcase of dirty laundry, lol.

There are tons of hikes! On your day in the geyser basin you will probably get miles of walking on the boardwalks so may not need or want and actual *hike*. Here is a link to the hiking page on the Yellowstone website. At Old Faithful, be sure to check at the Visitor Center when you first arrive to see the eruption times for the predictable geysers. Try to work your walk thru the geyser basin so you can see some of them. Write the times down on the brochure available at the VC desk for 50 cents.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

The Ranger programs are really good as well. I particularly like the one at Old Faithful at 830AM. Probably too early for you to get there from Big Sky, but if you overnight at OF you could do it before you head down to Tetons.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerprog.htm

I recommend stopping in Bozeman for a cheap cooler (not the styrofoam kind because they leak and squeak!) unless you can borrow one from your friends. We usually encourage people to have lunch, snacks and beverages so they don't have to find food when they are hungry.

Yellowstone is not exactly a food mecca. Many report nice meals at Old Faithful Inn or Lake Lodge. I usually eat at the General Stores lunch counters and eat out of the cooler the rest of the time, but you all may want something more romantic than that! My favorite General Store is the Lower General Store at Old Faithful. It is to the far side of the Old Faithful Inn from the Visitor Center, near the walk as you head out to Castle Geyser.

Jackson has many nice restaurants, others can give you ideas about that.

You will have a wonderful time! You can think of this as a scouting expedition for your next longer trip, lol!

Pam

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

Thanks for all the info Pam! Definitely will be helpful for planning our trip!

5. Re: Places to see Honeymoon Week Jackson/Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 28, 2015