We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Plan B?

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a Plan B?

We will be visiting YS and Cody from June 6 - 13 this year and after reading some recent posts about the weather in early June, road closures etc., I'm now worried that I need to have a Plan B in case some of the roads I have planned to travel aren't open. Here is a very general (I have a much more detailed one, trust me!) idea of our daily itinerary.

Friday, June 6th – arrive BZN 1:15pm, pick up supplies and drive to West Yellowstone for 2 night stay at Moose Creek Inn.

Saturday 6/7 – all day Lower Geyser Basin/Grand Prismatic Spring/Old Faithful/Upper Geyer Basin

Sunday 6/8 – Norris Geyser Basin, Mammoth Hot Springs and Fort Yellowstone. Head through Tower/Roosevelt Junction, over Dunraven Pass to Canyon Lodge for next 2 nights.

Monday 6/9 – all morning exploring Canyon area, head to Lake through Hayden Valley for afternoon. Back same route to Canyon.

Tuesday 6/10 – check out of Canyon and head to Cody through NE entrance (Lamar Valley), take Beartooth Highway to Rock Creek Vista, turn around and drive to Cody via Chief Joseph byway. Check into BW Ivy Inn & Suites, Cody Nite Rodeo.

Wednesday 6/11 – Buffalo Bill Center of the West all morning/early afternoon, 3pm horseback ride with Rand Creek Ranch, evening drinks on Irma porch and 6pm gunfight reenactment.

Thursday 6/12 – 8:30am Wild Mustang Tour (or maybe more museum if we don’t get enough on Wed.), 1:00 Shoshone River Rafting.

Friday, June 13th – check out early and drive to Bozeman for 3pm flight home. Google maps says 3.5 hour drive. When should we try to arrive at BZN? Before 1:30pm for 3pm departure?

Should I have a back-up plan? Or should we be okay that time of year? thanks for any advice you can give me.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

You should be OK. Only road that we have encountered closed in late May/early June several years ago was the one over Dunraven Pass. In fact the entire road between Canyon and Roosevelt was closed. Of course you never know- check with the rangers when you enter the park and they will have the latest updated info each day.

The Beartooth Hwy can also be closed but do not see that on your travel plan.

Edited: 9:17 am, January 24, 2014
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Thanks PeachBelle. We do plan to drive the Beartooth, on 6/10, but only as far as Rock Creek Vista. Hoping that it will be open. :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Here is the link to scheduled road work delays and closures for Yellowstone in 2014-

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Very helpful...thanks!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Look, this is Yellowstone National Park we're talking about. Yes, you should always be flexible, and Plan B is never a bad idea. It isn't just planned closures you must take into account. Even planned closures don't always work as scheduled. And unexpected events happen -- expect them!

As an example, I think it was three May's ago, there was a rockslide that closed the road between Roosevelt and Mammoth, and when it happened no one could say how long it would take to clear. Dunraven Pass between Roosevelt and Canyon was not yet plowed at that time, and the Beartooths weren't even close to being open. Given all this, anyone can do the map work and see how we had to go from the Lamar Buffalo Ranch to Gardiner. The normal 2-hour drive became a seven-hour drive.

Don't be "worried" that you need a Plan B -- embrace the idea! That's part of what makes Yellowstone so special. ENJOY!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

The mustang tour should be a lot of fun, and is a nice change of pace from the BB msueums. There are about 6,000 wild horses in herds scattered across Wyoming, mostly on BLM land, and a good number of them are near Cody.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Bill074 - thanks for your reply. The Plan B I am talking about is exactly as you mentioned...in case of unexpected closures. I have done my research and am fairly confident that all roads that we plan to travel on will be open second week of June (yes, I realize that this is not guaranteed). What I'm starting to think about is planning for the unexpected. So, maybe there is no way to plan ahead for this except for the obvious of taking one of the other routes within the park to get to my destination. What is the best way to know of these unexpected closures? Do we just check in each day with the visitor centers?

TetonBill - we are very excited about the wild mustang tour and have read rave reviews about it. We are horse owners and lovers, and are very curious to see the wild horses in their element. Can't wait for June to get here!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Danadan, I think the best thing to do is be familiar with the Yellowstone map and see how things are laid out. If there is a closure such as the rock slide, the road will be posted and there will be barricades. If that occurs the Rangers are also available to help you figure out your plan. You will get the map at the entrance gate and they will staple your paid entry ticket onto the map, so you will have that with you in the car.

Pam

Edited: 12:49 pm, January 26, 2014
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Good advice, Pam. Thanks!

Dana

Edited: 2:52 pm, January 26, 2014
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a Plan B?

Danadan, I ride a horse that was a mustang. Those times when I've ridden him out to work with some other wranglers to move horses around, and he's running along at the back of the herd, I can almost feel him reverting to his old way of life. Anyway, he looks about the same now as he did when he was wild, except he's missing a few parts, and he wears shoes. But there is something pretty cool about watching a herd of mustangs run in the wild. You should enjoy the tour.