We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

The more I read the more confused I get and keep changing our itinerary. Hoping one of you experts can help me out. We are a retired couple making our first (and probably only) visit to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier. We are flying in and out of SLC Aug 28th to Sept 14, 2014. Since we arrive in SLC very late we are staying 3 nights there before driving to Grand Tetons for 3 nights. On Sept. 3rd we will be driving from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone Lake Hotel so we will have several hours that first day. We will be staying there for 3 nights before leaving the park through Gardiner toward Glacier. But we are only traveling as far as Paradise Valley (Livingston area) that night so we will also have most of that 4th day before we leave Yellowstone. We’d like to see as many of the sights as possible. We love being outside and doing short walks. Thanks for your suggestions.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Pam, Since the road from the Lake Hotel to Old Faithful will be closed from West Thumb to Old Faithful in September and we will have to drive up around the Norris Canyon Road, do you still recommend that we drive all the way to Old Faithful Visitor Center first before stopping at any of the other geysers or areas we will be passing?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Hmmm....that is the night you are going from Lake to OF, right? I don't think it makes a difference as you can see them as you go or go directly to OF and pick up the basins between there and Madison the next morning as you head to Gardiner or Paradise Valley. However, if you want to do them on the way down to OF you can certainly do so.

I usually head to OF first but that is because I am obsessed with seeing Riverside and Grand geysers erupt and want a longer *window* of time for that to happen. I think it might also depend on how warm it is when you visit. I always get hot in the Upper Geyser Basin. The ground there is very white from the geyser sinter so it reflects a lot of sun and just feels really hot to me. If it is summer when I visit I like to get the Upper Geyser Basin done in the AM before it gets really hot. If it is chilly when you are there, you might want to reverse that thinking!

Really....it does not matter!

Glad you picked up the road closures from the other thread.

Pam

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Thank you, Pam. Are Riverside and Grand geysers a long walk from Old Faithful?

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Unless someone has a minimum of a month I adamantly recommend that you pick either Crown of the Continent [Glacier] or Greater Yellowstone and FOCUS. Doing both in just a couple of weeks means you're going to spend far too much a percentage of your time in your vehicle. If you think all there is to Greater Yellowstone are the parks then with all due respect you REALLY need to think again.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Here are some maps of the geyser areas so you can see where Riverside and Grand are.

nps.gov/features/…oftourmap.htm

nps.gov/features/…ofmapnorth.htm

This one is slightly more confusing as it has the whole geyser basin on one map.

americansouthwest.net/wyoming/yellowstone/up…

Nice pictures of Riverside:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Geyser

...and of Riverside:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Geyser

Pam

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Batesburg, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

Thanks funmomst.louis My husband are staying there for 3 nights in May and I am so excited about Old Faithful. I lived in WY in the 60's so it has been a very long time since I've been to YNP.

Edited: 3:27 pm, February 04, 2014
18. Re: Need help with 4 day Yellowstone Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2015