We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in mid March

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in mid March

We were planning on driving from Rapid City to Las Vegas via Yellowstone National Park middle of March 2014 over two weeks. From the little research I have done it may appear that a lot of Yellowstone Park roads may be closed at that time. Can anyone with local knowledge please advise if this would be the case? Any suggestions on other parks to visit if we cant access the best of Yellowstone, cheers

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in mid March

In March all roads except for that from Gardiner, MT to Cooke City, MT are closed to regular vehicles. There are roads open to snowcoach or guided snowmobile trips but all of these end by March 15th. For all practical purposes you can consider Yellowstone to be closed by mid-March.

As a resident of this region, I won't plan any road trips at this time of year because snowstorms can close all roads, sometime for days in the prairie regions of Wyoming and Montana. Even if the roads are open, driving conditions can become very dangerous with slippery roads and limited to no visibility if the wind is blowing snow. I'd suggest you plan a different time to make this trip if at all possible or plan lots of extra days into it so you can sit out a snowstorm or bad weather.

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in mid March

Thanks so much for your reply. I thought this may be the case but hoping not. Looks like we will have to change our plans and review this part of our trip. Have you travelled to Zion National Park? Would it be fine in March as it is a lot further south? Thanks again for the info.

Edited: 6:55 am, November 27, 2013
Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in mid March

You are correct, because Zion is so much farther south the weather there is likely to be much better for travel. It is also at a much lower altitude (3900 ft vs 7500 ft or more in Yellowstone) which also helps. You could still have a snowstorm there but the roads would melt clear much quicker. I've bee to Zion in March and the weather was very nice for our stay. No guarantee for your visit though.

4. Re: Yellowstone in mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 29, 2014