We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow coach Gardiner

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Snow coach Gardiner

We will be staying in Gardiner the second week of January. We want to do an overnight in the lodge and go by snow coach, stopping to photograph along the way. Only outfitter I could find was the park one Xanterra. Does anyone know of a private company? I do not want to drive down to West Yellowstone to do this. Thanks.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

If you want to stay at the Snow Lodge you have to use Xanterra's snow coaches. Private outfitters are only allowed to make day trips.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
763 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

The Xanterra trip is very nice. The driver was willing to stop for photos. You have to be considerate of the others in the coach. Book a Bombardier instead of a bigger bus since there are fewer people and the driver will be more willing to stop. they have planned sops along the way, i.e. Gibbon Falls but are willing to stop for wildlife.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

Thanks both jenmaire35 and zackdog31 for your prompt responses. Appreciated and answers my questions.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

We had no choice on transportation through Xanterra when going from Flagg Ranch in the winter. They simply told us what snowcoach we would be riding in when it was time to start loading the luggage. And yes, there were scheduled stops along for photos and sightseeing, but there is a schedule, so some extra stopping may be allowed, but not a lot. Arrival at Old Faithful was later afternoon and departure time was pretty early morning, so if you want to see any of the basin, you need more than one night.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

While the snowcoaches that take overnight guests to and from Old Faithful will stop for brief moments they have a schedule to keep so there are no guarantees. I've been on two snowcoach tours. One to Canyon from Mammoth. We saw a snowshoe hare and we were able to stop for a couple of minutes to take pics through the window. We were not able to get out of the snowcoach. At Canyon, we had time to take pictures of the falls. One winter, on the way back from a two night stay at Old Faithful we saw a beautiful fox laying in the snow next to the road. We were able to take pictures through the window but once again we were unable to get out.

If you want a snowcoach tour that will allow extended stops for taking photographs you will need to reserve a separate tour dedicated to photography. There is a xanterra photography tour to Canyon that originates in Mammoth and there is also a xanterra photography tour that to Canyon that originates in Old Faithful. Those tours and prices are outlined on this webpage:

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-…

If you go down the left side you will find "Grand Canyon Photography Adventure" listed under Winter Activities at Mammoth. Under Winter Activities at Old Faithful you will find "Old Faithful Photography Adventure" and "Winter Photo Safari"

Deb

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

thbergs 8 pt. winter trip 2013 is one of my favorites in the trip archives if interested in a great read.

7. Re: Snow coach Gardiner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2014