We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference in lodging

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
325 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Difference in lodging

Have studied the website and descriptions and pictures which just confuses me more.

What is the main difference staying at OF Inn vs OF Lodge vs OF Snow Lodge? All have affordable rooms (if they ever open up) OFI has west wing at 174 but the lodge has frontier cabin at 121 BUT the Snow lodge has frontier cabin at 105. Big difference. I don't want a ratty place but don't need large and fancy (which I know most aren't) We stayed in a rim cabin at GC and it was TINY but clean and really cute. Lodge cabin at Bryce Canyon that was VERY rustic but neat. Can someone pipe in if there is a noticeable difference in these places?

There is Lake Hotel AND Lake Lodge cabins. What is this difference here?

Lake Hotel is way too expensive but the annex room is 158 or frontier cabin is 149. Would that be a better choice than a room at the Canyon Lodge for 105? I think if we follow OhioHick's itinerary we will only stay 1 nite so the cost isn't going to break us. Do I want annex or frontier?

However at the Lake Lodge frontier cabin is 121 and pioneer is 80. I am thinking for 80 something MUST be wrong with it. LOL

Hope I am not getting on your nerves. Just too many choices and not enough pics to really be able to tell the difference.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel...
1,220 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference in lodging

Ok, I'll start with the Old Faithful questions. Keep in mind I prefer cabins (easy/close access to the car) and less chance for noisy neighbors....sometimes) and I also do not mind sharing a bath.

Old Faithful Inn has rooms in the Old House. The original section of the Inn, lots of character but most have a shared bath (rooms with a bath are almost impossible to snag), and have heard reports of noise. That's to be expected though, everything is wood, no insulation. Shared bathrooms are at least down the hall, not outside and are always clean and usually empty.

The rooms in the wings all have a bathroom and have the most hotel feel. Still cute and rustic decor but not my favorite.

Old Faithful Lodge is cabins only, those are mine and my parents favorite. Great access to the geyser basins, usually close parking right by your cabin, small but rustic. I am assuming the difference between Lodge frontier cabin and Snow Lodge frontier cabin is either 1. one has a tub/shower instead of just shower or 2. one has been updated more recently than the other. Hopefully someone will chime in with an exact answer.

Regarding the Lake area, I prefer the lodge, but I also like quiet, rustic areas. The front porch of the lodge can't be beat at the end of the day. Lake Hotel only has Frontier cabins which are very nice, updated and have a private bath. They are right behind the large hotel so not a great view. I would choose a cabin over the annex any day. Lake Lodge cabins....if you just want basic and a place to sleep Pioneer is fine but I was extremely disappointed by our Pioneer last year. I personally would do Frontier next time.

I have never been a fan of Canyon and after working there for a summer, am even less of a fan. The cabins are inadequate for the Yellowstone winters and have not been updated in a very long time. Similar to the Pioneers at Lake Lodge. The lodge rooms are great though so I don't want to scare you away from Canyon. It is very centrally located, and hopefully the construction on the main areas is nearing completion.

Hopefully I've helped and not added to the confusion!

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference in lodging

No, that helped a lot. I was leaning towards the OF Lodge but in reading reviews it seemed everyone stayed at the inn. Still not sure the difference in OF Lodge vs. OF snow lodge, both have a frontier cabin priced differently. Not enough price to matter so would prefer to stay at the lodge that is best. I am assuming the snow lodge is in a different location than the OF Lodge. Sounds confusing just saying again. LOL

Thanks for validating my choice for Lake Lodge. Again, not enough money to make much difference.

Since you don't think the Canyon is worthy I certainly hope something will open at Roosevelt.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference in lodging

The Inn does have great charm, so if you want, or can snag, a room there that's fine. You can still hang out there in the evening, even if you don't say. Sometimes they have a piano player and it takes you back to a different time :)

My parents are big geyser fans so they love being able to run out their cabin door if necessary. The Lodge cabins are closer to the geyser basin than the Snow Lodge, so that makes a difference in their choice also.

The Inn, Lodge and Snow Lodge are all within walking distance of each other. Have you looked at google maps? That might help give you a better perspective of the area.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference in lodging

Old Faithful Snow Lodge is the newest hotel in the area. It has a nice resort hotel feel to it, with a restaurant , lounge and fast food area attached. It is pricey, but we have stayed there twice. We have not stayed in cabins, but have stayed in the Canyon Lodge, Dunraven building and it was very nice. Look on the Xanterra web site or TA review pages for photos of all lodging options. In my opinion, anywhere inside the park is preferable to driving in from gateway towns.

Mentioned in this post
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
161 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,831 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference in lodging

The names themselves make it confusing. Old Faithful Lodge has only cabins. But, the Old Faithful Snow Lodge has cabins and "hotel" rooms in the lodge building. I have not stayed in the frontier at either of them, just the budge OFL and Western OFSL (winter only) and was happy with both.

Lake Lodge has only cabins,while Lake Hotel has hotel, annex (separate hotel building in the back) and cabins.

We have stayed in the Lake Hotel cabins and been happy, but usually take the least expensive at Lake Lodge. And yes, for the price, they leave a lot to be desired, but as we are only there to sleep, as long as the bed and shower are clean, that is enough for us.

We like the Lake area over Canyon for the feel. Less "village" there, and they are close enough we have no problem seeing what we want in the Canyon area. Others want more "things" around and like the stores, etc at Canyon. It really is personal preference, and availability.

Most importantly, enjoy your time in YNP and don't stress over a room- the important stuff is all outside of it anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful Lodge Cabins
Old Faithful Lodge Cabins
503 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,946 Reviews
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference in lodging

We were in Yellowstone in September and have been multiple times and always stayed outside the park in West Yellowstone or Gardiner. This year we stayed in the park at the OF Inn and we loved it. We stayed in one of the west wing rooms but could see OF and it was an easy walk to the dining room. We also really enjoyed eating the breakfast and dinner buffet and then sitting in the lobby after dinner enjoying coffee and music from the piano.

Mentioned in this post
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference in lodging

just wanted to add Roosevelt is my favorite place to stay in the whole park! Very relaxed and I'm sure you've heard, great food!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference in lodging

OF Inn original rooms are still the ones with the most charm and sense of history. I suppose I should stop telling people this in case I want to get one of those rooms myself. ENJOY!

9. Re: Difference in lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 26, 2014