We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Agoura Hills...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

This is a message to Pam,

You seem so helpful with the itineraries that I was hoping you could put one together for me! We are thinking of going first or 2nd week in June, 2014 if you think that is a good time. Probably fly into Jackson and spend 1 or 2 nights, and then 2-3 nights in the park. Would love to go through Grand Teton and see the sights on the way to YNP. Our focus is on wildlife, but still would like to see some of the top attractions as well. We are 2 active 40 year olds and 2 seniors in their mid 60's in decent shape. Some hiking is great, but would probably stay with easier hikes not more than a couple miles.

Thank you!!

Emily

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Hi Emily. Welcome to Trip Advisor! I would be happy to help you with a detailed itinerary suggestions if that is what you are asking for, but would need to wait until you get lodging in place first.

I would probably pick the 2nd week of June as you might have marginally better weather. June weather can be wonderful or it can feel like it is still winter.

What is the total amount of time you will have? Is it 6 days?

Day 1: Fly in to Jackson, overnight Jackson or GTNP

Day 2: Overnight Jackson or GTNP

Day 3: Overnight YNP

Day 4: Overnight YNP

Day 5: Overnight Jackson if you have a morning flight

Day 6: Fly home

Take a look at the www.nps.gov/yell website and scroll down on the left to *view map* to see where everything is located.

Then, look at this website and see what lodging is interesting to you. http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Book only thru the Xanterra website. They have a generous cancellation policy. Altho everything may show full, please know that there is a lot of movement in reservations so something will come up if you are persistent.

Pam

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Just an FYI - you can use the PM feature if you only want to communicate with one specific individual.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Thank you Paula for that reminder.

I was remiss in not asking the original poster to be open to responses from everyone. We have a wonderful community here of extremely knowledgeable posters. It does oneself a disservice to limit answers to one person as all who are willing to spend their time volunteering answers on TA have something to add.

As far as your Yellowstone experience, we have all spent time there and all of us feel it is a place close to our hearts. We want everyone to have an experience of a lifetime when visiting.

BTW, when people do Personal Message me, I usually refer them back here for help from the community. A wide range of views is helpful when planning a trip to this amazing area.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Great ideas from all. Here is a link and map to the most popular sights in the park. Yellowstone is huge and there is lots to see.

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

If you really want a nice gift idea then buy Janet Chapple's book Yellowstone Treasures. It is full of helpful info.

You will have an awesome time!!

Agoura Hills...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Thank you everyone for your messages!! I definitely appreciate and welcome everyone's opinion! In your opinion, if you have 3 nights completely dedicated in the park and want to focus primarily on wildlife but also see Old Faithful and probably the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, which lodging sites would you choose?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Old Faithful for one or two nights and either Canyon or Lake for one or two nights. I would see what you can find on Xanterra based on availability and what you want to pay for the lodging. To me OF has the best rooms in the inn and the best food at the dining room. We really enjoyed eating the buffet there for both dinner and breakfast.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

<< if you have 3 nights completely dedicated in the park and want to focus primarily on wildlife but also see Old Faithful and probably the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, which lodging sites would you choose? >>

Roosevelt for wildlife and Grand Canyon, OF Inn (old rooms, not the "wings") for OF. ENJOY!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

With only 3 nights & a focus upon wildlife, I would do 1 night Roosevelt (for Lamar wildlife), 1 night Canyon (for Hayden valley wildlife) & 1 night OF for OF! I find it easier to move from location to location, thus having early mornings & evenings in an area for wildlife viewing, as it is a bad idea to drive after dark.

Have fun deciding what will work best for you!

9. Re: 4-5 day Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 12, 2014