We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

Hello. I am thinking of booking the Roosevelt Old West Cookout for next August but had a question about the end time. We currently have reservations at Canyon Lodge and I have seen the recommendations to try to avoid driving at night in the park. Should driving back to our hotel be a concern after the Cookout?

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

I don't think that would be a problem. I've done the cookout a few times, both in June and August. If you head back to Canyon when you return to the lot, you'll be fine. Both times, we were back to the parking lot at least an hour and a half or so before sunset. In fact, in June we went out to Lamar Valley and had some great wildlife viewing.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

Here is a good link www.sunrisesunset.com

I recommend you print out the calendar for the time you will be in the park. The wireless and cell service is pretty spotty so hard to come up with it when you need it. Hopefully it will be in the daylight as Tom indicates. Otherwise you will just need to be careful on the drive.

Pam

Indiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

We did the Roosevelt Cookout this past August and we're able to make it back to Canyon before it got dark. In fact, we stopped a couple times for pictures and were even able to head to the boardwalk at the hot springs for a bit.

The cookout is a lot of fun and definitely worth it!

4. Re: Roosevelt Old West Cookout, End time & Driving back to hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 02, 2014