We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Planned our trip a year ago after a very successful trip to Arches, Bryce, Yesemite etc. We have to be in Keystone, SD, on Oct.15, spend 2 days there and drive to Cody... we wanted to see the Yellowstone... If this chaos goes on, then I have to design something different for my wife and 6yo daughter instead. Would be greatful for any ideas. I have booked Cody and Jackson and also booked Yellowstone OF SnowLodge for Oct.18-20. We rent a SUV for two weeks. Then we have to go down south to Mesa Verde... We are a family of 3 from Irkutsk, Russian Siberia. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
South Dakota
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

How long do you have booked for Cody? If you had just planned on one night, I would extend it to 2.

Here are some suggestions given on other recent threads that might be useful to you both regarding travel routes and sightseeing suggestions. There are also some suggestions regarding the West and North sides of the park which will not really be convenient for you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k69006…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k68805…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k68971…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k68945…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143029-i1019-k688…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k68881…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k68893…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k68856…

If you are on FaceBook, here is a link to some people who usually do guided tours within the park but are currently out of work. They did a short trip around the perimeter of Yellowstone, some of which might be helpful to you. (Their pictures of Thermopolis WY look very interesting!)

https:/…176160852424427

Please be aware of weather conditions as you are traveling pretty late in the year for this area. Much of this area has seen a taste of winter already with a huge snowstorm moving thru last week. There was 4 feet of snow in some of the Black Hills locations.

Let us know if you have specific questions! Sorry your holiday is subject to change.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Just an FYI - if this budget "chaos" isn't resolved by the time you take your trip, you won't be able to visit Mt. Rushmore or Mesa Verde either.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Yes, I know that Mt.Rushmore should be closed. My idea was to visit the Custer state park and watch the Mount from there as well as try to see some wildlife in this park. At the same time I do hope by the time we are in Arizona the budget problem is solved. If not, there are many places there like Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly which are open.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Thanks, Pam, for suggestions and ideas. I am reviewing them now. Are the roads clear or covered with ice now? Speaking frankly, we got used to snow and snow roads in the area where we live. Another thing that it would be great to have a clear idea where we go on this snow... At the moment I do not know. I will let you know if any questions.

Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Looks like we would get this back-up plan: Cody (1nt) - Thermopolis (1nt) - Riverton or Dubois (still do not know what to choose of them, 1nt) and then driving to Jackson. What do you think of it? is it ok for a regular SUV in a week from now? Will we see anything great? As far as I understood while driving to Jackson and from Jackson we will be able to see some of the GTNP. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Great news that the YNP is open. Need the expert suggestion if we are ok to drive through the park in one day from Cody towards Jackson and still see a lot. We are driving a standard suv. Do we need chains? Thanks in advance for your help. We are gonna enter the park on Oct.20.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,814 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

Check the national park website for the latest road and weather conditions- link here-

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

There is usually not a chain requirement in Yellowstone, but there sometimes is a snow tire requirement. If you have a phone, I would call on Saturday to see what the road conditions are. They will also tell you at the East entrance gate, however, that is a 50 mile drive from Cody. For instance, yesterday snow tires were required on the East entrance road, however this morning's road report which was just updated is not requiring or even advising snow tires on the East entrance road. So...if they don't get any weather thru before Sunday when you travel, you will likely be OK.

The Road Condition line is 307-344-2117.

We would love to have you post a trip report!

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Irkutsk, Russia
Level Contributor
8 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP

thanks a lot! we are at Mt. Rushmore right now. Hope to be in Cody tomorrow, Oct.19 and enter the park on Oct.20. I will get chains, just in case, because my car has M+S but not very fresh. Will report en route!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October, 18-20. YNP, October, 21-23, GTNP