We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YNP website down now

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
YNP website down now

I was in the website earlier today, but now it is down with a link to the DOI (Department of the Interior) website.

http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

<sigh>

Pam

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
35 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: YNP website down now

I agree. We are booked to visit Yellowstone and GTNP from 10/11 thru 10/14. As a fed (now furloughed), you'd think I'd have been more aware of the changing fiscal year. Won't make that mistake again.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: YNP website down now

Folks driving route 89 between Jackson and Dubois will find that the park service has blocked entry to scenic overlooks and the nearby bike path. I understand that the park service is also considering dropping a large curtain in front of the Teton Range, lest someone driving route 89 gets a glimpse of the mountains.

Edited: 2:35 pm, October 09, 2013
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: YNP website down now

Teton Bill,

I think your wrong on the curtains – I heard NPS exterior decorator consultants were hired and they determined that the best thing to do would be to use exposed grain wood blinds to shutter the Tetons, which would also enhance the natural environment and draw attention away from any barricades.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: YNP website down now

BlueBird, as always, I defer to your superior knowledge and, once again, find myself humbled by your brilliant observations. Wood grain blinds are certainly the better way to go.

Castaic, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: YNP website down now

Are the Park Supervisors furloughed too? I heard they were essential.

Anyway, we should still be able to email.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: YNP website down now

Laughing, so I guess the wood for the blinds would be cut from NFS land and not Park Service land? Perhaps they should work something out with the fog/cloud manufacturers and go for more natural obfuscation.

Pam

17. Re: YNP website down now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 11, 2014