We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
352 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

I was reading one of my guidebooks, and it said if you want a really good view, you can ask to accompany the Inn employees up on the roof when they raise the flag (I would assume early morning). Have any of you done this? It sounds like something kind of neat to do; just wondering if it's worth giving up an early morning chance to see wildlife to do this. We'll have 3 nights at the Old Faithful Inn.

By the way, we DO intend to do one of the tours of the OFI while we're there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
352 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Thanks for the update BlueBirdDay - guess I'll make a note to call after May 1 next year.

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

The Old Faithful Inn is scheduled to open for the season on May 9, 2014 so that should be your go date to call. May 1 is the opening day for future season reservations, but is only occasionally actually the opening date for any of the hotels :)

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Called today and made a reservation. Can't wait.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Awesome; thanks for posting your experience Travel4Ever3!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

I am so excited! Thank you for posting the info. I booked a visit to the crows nest for our August trip:)

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Very cool info! Made a reservation for June 10. Can't wait!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

See, this is why I love this message board so much... I just called and got a spot for June 15th. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Also wanted to add: the man I spoke with said that the exact timing for these reservations varies as they try to time it with an OF eruption.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

Yes! It was suggested to us to check in at the bellman's desk in the afternoon to meet the bellman who would lead the visit and verify the time. Usually between 6 to 6:30PM. This is going to be a neat treat! Thanks TA!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
352 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Old Faithful Inn - flag raising?

OP here - we're in for June 19. Same as DLPinMD said - I was told to check in at the bellman's desk earlier in the day just to confirm, and then to be there around 6pm to go up to the crow's nest.

FYI - I have a reservation for the 7:15 Yellow Bus Twilight on the Firehole Tour that same day, and the bellman I spoke with (Ed - really nice guy) said it shouldn't be a problem to do the flag lowering and still make the Yellow Bus Tour.

And our other date - June 20 - is already booked in case any of you were thinking of doing it that day.

Amy

Edited: 7:34 pm, May 20, 2014