We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

I am seeking some advice on how to spend our time in Yellowstone. We will be in the midst of an 18 day road trip (!) and are spending 3 nights in Yellowstone (followed by 3 nights in GTNP/Jackson). In Yellowstone we are spending one night at Old Faithful Inn, Canyon Lodge cabins, and Lake Yellowstone Hotel. We will be arriving from Salt Lake City hopefully by 1-2pm on day 1. Day 2 and 3 are all Yellowstone. We leave day 4 for GTNP/Jackson. We have 7:30 dinner reservations on Day 1 and 3 at Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone Hotel, respectively. We have 3 boys (12, 10, and 7) and are in pretty good shape ourselves. The boys are fairly active and adventurous but our middle child has aspergers and occasionally needs to take things at a different pace. He is also an encyclopedic learner and will love any and all educational opportunities. Thanks for any input and advice.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

Check out the Jr Ranger Program. www.nps.gov/yell/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

I would go to Old Faithful your first day, check at the Visitors Center for predictions and decide on your day from there. Dinner at at the Inn, overnight at the Inn.

Day 2: I would finish up in the Upper Basin (Old Faithful area) then go to the other thermal areas on your way to Mammoth as time and interest leads. From Mammoth, over to Roosevelt, down past Tower to overnight at Canyon. The Ranger program at Canyon gets good reviews. I would picnic lunch this day and eat at Roosevelt for dinner if the timing works.

Day 3: I would do the Falls, Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge (love the Visitor Center and the beach behind it) Hayden Valley and Lake, dinner and overnight at Lake.

Day 4: I would hit Hayden Valley again early morning if it works for your family, then head out via West Thumb and out the south gate, stopping at West Thumb if you are still interested in thermal areas.

Driving in the park after dark is discouraged, so watch your time on day 2. www.sunrisesunset.com

Also, have you checked out the webcams? www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Have a wonderful trip!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

+1 for Hayden Valley near Canyon for wildlife and hiking (Wapiti Lake trails)

At OFI for dinner think about Pork Osso Buco. Yum

1quest2thenext.com/category/…

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

Thank you so much for your input. It is a big help!

4. Re: Itinerary Aug 25-28, 3 nights/2.5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 26, 2014