We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many miles did you put on your rental car?

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
490 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How many miles did you put on your rental car?

We are flying into and out of Butte and have reserved a full size car through Budget. We think a minivan might work better for us, but I haven't been able to find a rate with unlimited miles. The best I have found includes 1200 miles for the week and the charge per extra mile is steep ($.25).

I used google maps to map out our point to point mileage from Butte, MT ->Old Faithful Inn -> Colter Bay Cabin ->Jackson, WY-Colter Bay Cabin-> Roosevelt Lodge-> Butte, MT.

This route already has 600 miles. I am not sure another 600 miles is enough

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

Actually I rechecked and enterprise is 1400 miles (200/day). All the others just give you 1050 miles for the week. Is 1400 miles doable?

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

I put on 1672 miles for a week driving to and from Bozeman. I could have done more my last two days, so let's say 1800 miles is possible. However, I think I may have done more driving than average? I'm not sure.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

If you plan on devoting separate time to wildlife viewing you will put a lot of miles on your vehicle. This last June, I put 1500 miles on my car in 5 days but we do a lot of wildlife searching so that means a lot of driving back and forth over the same stretch of road which quickly adds up. We are also up and on the road at 6am and don't get back to our campground until around 5:30 for a quick dinner. We are then back out on the road until dusk.

If you plan on just doing the normal driving from attraction to attraction and spending more time at your lodging then your miles will be less.

Deb

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

We rented a minivan in Butte, drove to Glacier, then Yellowstone, then Grand Teton, returning the van in Jackson. 10 days total and we're over 1600 miles so far (returning tomorrow). When I mapped it all, I think it was 1100ish miles so we're way over (which isn't unexpected). We drove a lot around Yellowstone.

5. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 29, 2013
Edited: 10:35 am, July 29, 2013
Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

2600 miles from 12 nights in Teton YNP and Glacier - starting/ending in SLC.

https://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

We are renting out of Salt Lake City. Have checked several rental companies. All are unlimited mileage. I just went into the Southwest Airlines site and looked at rentals in Bozeman. I only looked at Enterprise, but it listed unlimited mileage. You might want to try the Southwest Site. You do not have to be flying on Southwest to rent the car through them.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

Hertz has unlimited mileage with AAA and joining thire club, which is free.. Thirfty has unlimited if you join their frequent renters club, which is free. Several others do the same. My last trip I drove 2200 miles for an 8 day trip from SLC. I rebooked my hertz rental every time the price went down dropping it from 1000 for a Tahoe to 600 by the time I went . The last time I rebooked I used the pay up front feature because I knew I was not going to cancel You can still modify the reservation to take advantage of a lower rate, but you cannot cancel.

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
490 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

Thanks for all the replies. I can see that unlimited mileage will likely be needed. We like to go out looking for wildlife so I think we will put a lot of miles on the rental car.

I checked with AAA and Southwest-both have mileage limits for our particular dates/location. We bought our airline tickets flying into and out of Butte, MT (airport BTM) because they were cheap (<$300 roundtrip from Cincinnati, OH). Looks like the disadvanage is the limited options for rental cars. I found out enterprise closes at noon and our flight arrives at 12:30. This would have been a good option because I found out I could have gotten unlimited miles through my company code. The remaining optons are Hertz, Avis, and Budget. All have a mileage limit of 1050 / week for anything larger than a fullsize car. I am aftraid that won't be enough so I guess I have to stick to the fullsize with unlimited mileage.

If you happen to know a valid code that gives unlimited mileage or other websites to try - let me know.

I know priceline or hotwire would give us unlimited mileage. I bid for a minivan on priceline up to $40 per day with no luck. Priceline conter-offered a minivan for $83 per day with unlimited mileage which is too expensive.

Edited: 1:06 pm, July 29, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many miles did you put on your rental car?

Hmmm - best guess, just under 1300 miles. We rented through AVIS with unlimited mileage.