We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montana/Wyoming trip

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Montana/Wyoming trip

We have previously visited Yellowstone National Park and loved it. We did not spend any time in the NE corner of the park and would like to incorporate that into our next trip. We like ghost towns and roads that are off the beaten path. Can someone recommend an 4 day itinerary that would include the above? Thanks for your help. Linda

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

Are you flying or driving? So 4 days beginning and ending where? As to ghost towns and roads off the beaten path, I assume that they would be part of the 4 days that includes the NE part of Yellowstone?

Just how beaten do you want these roads to be? Wyoming has 8,000 miles of public dirt roads, but do you want to stick with paved roads?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

Starting from where and ending where? Time of year? How much time do you want IN YNP?

Details will help give suggestions.

edit to add: saw Bill's post, what he said, lol. Also- car rental companies often do not allow dirt road driving.

Edited: 2:35 pm, July 25, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

One can fly into & out of Billings.

Drive to Red Lodge : research nearby Bear Creek (site of the Smith mine tragedy) & deserted Washoe for ghost potential.

Then drive the Beartooth Highway to Cooke City or Silver Gate for lodging, or Roosevelt lodge in the park if there is a cabin available. These are 3 great locations from which to access the northeast Lamar valley.

Could drive the Chief Joseph & then back to Billings.

Have fun planning what will work for you!

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

Thank you so much. I believe the Beartooth Highway is what we didn't do last time. We are planning to fly and weren't sure the best airport so this helps to know that we should fly into Billings. Will look into the Chief Josesph and Bear Creek as well as Washoe. If we do most of this in a day or so, what about areas east of the park that we should see? THANKS again for your help. Linda

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

I realize I didn't give many details. We plan to fly into the nearest airport which one person suggested would be BIllings. Therefore we would need to begin in Billings and end there as well. The Chief Joseph and Beartooth both sound like something we would enjoy. We are planning this trip for Sept. this year and know we can't wait too late or roads will be closed due to snow. We will have a rental car so the roads cannot be TOO beaten but we don't mind dirt roads that are passable with something other than a 4 wheel drive. We have some ideas now but any more info would be helpful as we perhaps plan additional sites to visit. We appreciate all the help planning this itinerary. Linda

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

In the NE corner, past Lamar Valley, we saw a mountain goat mama and baby climbing up the side of a mountain. Another visitor with a scope let my kids hop into their pickup and look up close!

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

After receiving the posts on here with suggestions, we are tentatively planning to fly into Billings, MT on a Tues, and fly out of Billings on Sunday. We would like to spend some time in Yellowstone National Park, would like to drive the Beartooth Highway, would like to drive the Chief Joseph Hwy, and would like to see Bear Creek and Washoe and any other interesting sites. As you can tell, we enjoy the natural beauty of the area plus the history. With that in mind, can anyone give us a sample itinerary for those days and places to stay and good places to eat. We will definitely plan to look into staying in Cooke City or Silvergate---don't know whether we should make that our base or stay different places since I'm not quite sure how long it will take to drive the various places. THANKS in advance for your help. Linda

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

With only 4 days, I would focus on the Lamar Valley portion of Yellowstone, with one day to travel to & one day to travel back to Billings. That only leaves 2 days for the park.

Of course, Beartooth Hwy can close due to bad weather, so one has to check on that.

Here's a map showing the Beartooth Hwy & the Chief Joseph Hwy, both paved roads:

byways.org/explore/byways/2281/travel.html

Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone closes Sept 1 or thereabout. But check Silver Gate or Cooke City for lodging

Have fun planning!.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

OK, we have found flights into and out of Billings. Since we spent several days in Yellowstone not too long ago (Perhaps just part of a day in the park), we mainly want to spend more time driving the Beartooth Hwy. and Chief Joseph HWY and see places off there. Should we still make Cooke our base since we want to go to some ghost towns, etc. as well or should we look for a hotel somewhere else for at least one night. We aren't sure the distance we'll need to travel. Could we travel to Cody, WY or is that too far for a day trip? We wouldn't mind going east into some of the areas there. Just not quite sure. We do know we need to be back in Billings on Sat. night in order to catch an early flight out on Sunday. Thanks. Possible itinerary ideas for Wed., Thurs., Friday, and Sat??

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montana/Wyoming trip

Oh, I understood from your first post that you wanted to spend more time in the northeast portion of the park.

Cody is within easy reach of Billings & Cooke City, about 2 hrs from each.

Hopefully, someone can guide you to the ghost towns and where to stay east of the park where you want to go.