We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern California to Yellowstone?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
67 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Southern California to Yellowstone?

We live in Southern California and might do a trip to Yellowstone next summer. We would bring our pop-up camper and would stay in hotels or camp for a night or a few nights at some cool spots along the way. Do you recommend any places we should visit on our way there -- cities where we would stay in a hotel and campgrounds/state or national parks to camp at?

Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Gibbon Falls
Geologic Formations, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Aurum Geyser
Geologic Formations, Hot Springs & Geysers, National Parks
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern California to Yellowstone?

You'll most likely travel up I-15 through Las Vegas, St. George, UT and Salt Lake City.

I suggest either Zion National Park and/or Bryce Canyon National Park (my preference between the two is Bryce, but others prefer Zion, so do your research if you must choose).

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
976 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern California to Yellowstone?

I absolutely love both Bryce and Zion. If possible, try for two nights in each place. Bryce is smaller but is also my preference between the two.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern California to Yellowstone?

Valley of Fire SP south of Mesquite NV is also worth a stop. They have a nice campground there too.

Edited: 2:30 pm, July 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Southern California to Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 17, 2014