We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

I have been looking for an up to date posting on which guide books are better or should I say - need to have to find the neat places that most bypass.

I am a photographer and was looking also at some of the books on photographing Yellowstone and wonder if anyone has used them and if it was necessary or helped you find some great photo ops not easily seen..

The one book that seems to stand out is - "Yellowstone Treasures: The Traveler's Companion to the National Park - Janet Chapple"

There is also a map that looks like it is good too - "National Geographic Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks Road Guide: The Essential Guide for Motorists - Jeremy Schmidt"

Would love to have some current input on these and any others that you may suggest or what people are using. We will not have our cell phones as we are from Canada and the rates are too high for us to use all the neat aps that are there.

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

As for maps, I find the AAA map of Yellowstone and GTNP to be excellent, although this does not include hiking trails.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

Just ordered the Yellowstone Treasures newest edition that will be released on Aug 1st and National Geographic Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks Road Guide: The Essential Guide for Motorists along with both photo books - Photographing Yellowstone National Park" Verderber, Gustav and Photographers Guide To Yellowstone And Tetons", Lange, Joseph that were suggested.

Couldn't decide on the photo books as there seemed to be positive attributes with both.

I don't need the how to, just the where and when to.

Now to anxiously await their delivery.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,139 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

lol!! You sound like me.

Regarding the Yellowstone Expedition book. It is very nice, with beautiful pictures of park features BUT it is hardbound, big and heavy. I have taken it with me in the car but I would not take it if I were flying. I am sure this book is available at the various gift shops and book stores in the park (I just didn't look last time I was there to confirm!) in case you want to check it out when you are there. I think you need more books, lolol!

Pam

Newton...
Level Contributor
126 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

FYI - I pre-ordered from Amazon the new version of Yellowstone Treasures, which was due to come out in early August, but just heard from them that in fact it will be available on July 17. So you will have plenty of time to see if the new version meets your needs.

Edited: 10:19 am, July 12, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

This article might be useful. My major point re: photography, especially of wildlife, is to have a minimum of 400 mm lens - or a super-zoom camera.

Wildlife Viewing and Photography: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

Hi Voyaging

I will have either a 100-400mm lens or a 300mm lens with a 2X extender while I am there.

I am in the process of booking either lens to rent for the trip.

I have a 70-200mm 2.8 IS ll with the 2X extender, but would like the further reach just to get closer and sharper photos. I also shoot mainly with a tripod for clarity

Thanks for your suggestions.

Pam - yes, I am a major planner......we are driving down from Victoria, BC via Osoyoos and am still planning the route down. I have many pages of note to organize so far into my binder for this area.....:)

We have two weeks to explore - won't all be in the Yellowstone area though.

GreentreeMA

Thanks for that info on the book - I hadn't heard yet about the earlier release - that is great.

Cheers!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,139 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

You know that the binder must be *yellow* for Yellowstone, right?? lolol

Pam

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

Good point Pam - will have to find a yellow one now...lol

19. Re: If you only had one guide book - which one would it be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 14, 2014