We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spotting Scope Recommendations.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Spotting Scope Recommendations.

We will be back in the parks in just over 2 weeks. I would like to pick up a spotting scope before we get there. I'm looking for recommendations for a decent scope under $300. Are there any decent ones for under that price?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

to get a decent spotting scope, I think you need to spend more than $300. maybe look for used one on Craigs List or EBay. have you thought about renting one?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

hmmm. No, I don't want to rent one may have to wait for a later trip to actually purchase one. I just don't want to spend more than that right now. I may need to drive down to Cabela's and take a look at theirs and try them out.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

It's your call but you can get a very decent Nikon Fieldscope ( I think it was ED 82 model ) for $75 for 3 days or $30 per day from here :

www.wolftracker.com/spottingscoperental.htm

I did not rent one but several very nice people allowed me to look through couple of them at Lamar & Hayden valleys and I found the optics quite good. Of course you still need a steady hand and know what to look for when focusing and panning initially.

This would cost $ 1000 plus and if we are talking about Swarovski or Leica then double the price.

Edited: 4:47 pm, June 16, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

My husband got me great binoculars for a little bit less than that price at cabela's. Lots of folks are so kind to share their scopes with me at wildlife sightings.

Have fun!

Edited: 5:05 pm, June 16, 2013
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

I have a decent pair of Nikon binoculars and 500mm camera lens and we did pretty good on our last trip. We will end up buying a nice scope but probably not for this trip. Thanks anyway.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

I'd rent a scope; buy one when its use becomes second nature and when it is important to you, e.g., birding and wildlife watching. The difference between a $300 scope and the best is significant More color, more light, more detail. The zoom lens on less expensive scopes is not going to win awards - quality deteriorates quickly past 25.- 30 power.

Or, as said above, inquire of those with scopes. Typically, we are pleased you asked and are willing to share the view with adults and kids.

Wildlife Viewing and Photography: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

Edited: 6:33 pm, June 16, 2013
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

I bought a nice Leupold spotting scope for our trip a few weeks ago but found myself using my Nikon 10x42 binocs much more. They were always hanging around my neck and were easier to get to when needed in a hurry. Never felt the need for more power and spotted plenty of animals that others didn't even see.

For right around $325 you can get a great pair of Nikon Monarch binocs that would be much better than a cheap spotting scope of the same price.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

Thanks Dewey, Those are exactly the kind of binocs I have. I love them. They were my Christmas present. I'm a NIKON kind of girl.

Edited: 10:42 pm, June 16, 2013
9. Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2014