We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary and Lodging

Otsego, Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary and Lodging

Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be driving from our home in Minnesota to visit Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Mount Rushmore in the middle of August. Neither of us have been to Yellowstone or Grand Teton nor do we know much about traveling to the parks. I'm wondering if someone would be able to help us out with a tentative intinerary and/or tips? Maybe some lodging suggestions around Yellowstone? I've been tirelessly looking on Yellowstone's lodging website for places to stay in the park but everything looks booked. It'd be ideal to stay in the park, but we don't mind staying out of the park and driving a little bit (not a lot hopefully). We already booked a hotel in Jackson, WY for the Grand Teton portion of the trip. Here is a little bit of detail:

We are planning on August 17-24. The first four nights will be in/around Yellowstone. We were thinking of staying in Gardiner, MT for two nights (the 17th and the 18th) and then West Yellowstone, MT for two nights (the 19th and 20th). We will then head south for the Grand Teton portion of the trip, staying in Jackson, WY the 21st and 22nd. On the 23rd we will start to head for home, stopping in Keystone, SD to see Mount Rushmore and stay one night there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary and Lodging

going over the Beartooth, through the park to West will add considerably to your drive time. I would try for Roosevelt, Cooke City/SilverGate instead of trying to make it to West Yellowstone. You don't want to drive after dark in the area, especially after such a long driving day. Animals use the roads at night, and tired driving only adds to the risk.

www.sunrisesunset.com

Mileage in the park x 2 for drive time, not including any stops or animal jams.

Edited: 1:49 pm, June 13, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary and Lodging

Even if only one of the two nights you want for a particular area opens up, reserve it. Then keep checking to see if the night before or after is available. You might even consider changing rooms within the same complex. Hotel room one night, cabin the next. This might be better than driving out of the park.

13. Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton Itinerary and Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 16, 2014