We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where to stay in YNP

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on where to stay in YNP

Hi. Planned a trip to YNP this July. Have reservations at the Lake Yellowstone for 4 nights. They say it is a renovated room with private bath overlooking the lake. I tried to book Old Faithfull Inn for 2 of those 4 nights since I heard it would be better to try stay there, if possible because of the driving distances between the two locations. There was no availability at Old Faithfull Inn but 2 nights opened for the Old Faithfull Snow Lodge. They say the Snow Lodge is right next to Old Faithfull Inn. Do you advise that we stay 2 nights at the Snow Lodge and 2 at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel or just all 4 at the Lake Yellowstone? Or do you suggest that we just keep trying to see if the Old Faithfull inn becomes available. This is our first time at YNP. Thanks, Warren

Truxton, Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend in the geyser basins whether to stay at Lake or move.

The wildlife viewing is better a short drive north of the Lake and it is best to be there at dawn or dusk so you're commute would be shorter from Lake Hotel. However, if that is not a main focus then 2 nights at Lake and moving to Old Faithful might be a nice change. Many visitors come here strictly for the wildlife viewing opportunities and visiting the geyser basins is secondary with wolf and bear viewing at dawn and dusk and touring geysers and waterfalls in the middle of the day.

It is cooler at Canyon and Lake too and I spend most of the summer at Canyon. Lots of great hiking trails.

Old Faithful Snow Lodge is our newest hotel in the park. The food is much better at the Snow Lodge too. No reservations required. You can always walk across the parking lot to the O. F. Inn if you want to hang out in the lobby area.

Staying at Old Faithful would allow you more time in the various geyser basins. It all depends on how you want to spend the majority of your time and what you want to do while you are here visiting.

Edited: 8:05 pm, June 11, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

I personally would split time between OF and Lake.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

I would also split. Being in the Old Faithful area- Upper Geyser Basin- early morning and evening when crowds aren't there is wonderful. The Snow Lodge is very nice, and as noted- go ahead and hang out in the Inn and enjoy the ambiance- and sometimes musical entertainment. You can eat anywhere no matter where you stay- you do need reservations for the Inn for dinner, but you can walk in to eat breakfast if you just want the experience of eating there.

And if you want to stay in the Inn, just keep checking and good luck!

Edited: 8:40 pm, June 11, 2013
Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

Thank you all very very much. Since it is our first time, I want to see everything. I'll go with the split with the first 2 at the Snow Lodge unless the Old Faithfull Inn opens up. Unless of course you would recommend the Snow Lodge over the Inn. I personally love to see wildlife so I figured since the 1st day is pretty much taken by a long drive from Salt Lake, I'll have one full day at the Old Faithfull area and then 2 full days and nights at the Lake area where based on the responses sounds like there is more wildlife and hiking in that area. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

Sounds great, good luck and trust you will have a great trip. Keep your eyes open - a tip is to look for "parts" of animals- a head, legs, etc as you (the passenger) are riding around. Those critters are sneaky and can be anywhere at any time!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

While at Lake you may also want to take a early AM or evening ride out the East Entrance Road. You can ridge out to Lake Butte, stopping at the Pelican Creek, Indian Pond turnouts. There have been numerous grizzly sightings along the road at the above locations and along Mary and sedge Bays between 6:30-9:00 AM and again in the early evenings after 6:oo PM. Well worth the 10-12 mile ride out, then turn around and head back in to Lake.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

I can't speak about anything other than Grant Village. Do not bother staying here unless it is a last resort. I couldn't get reservations elsewhere for 3 consecutive days, so chose this one. Not impressed with the room. Definitely not impressed with the food at either of the two dining restaurants at Grant Village. Not worth the money.

8. Re: Need advice on where to stay in YNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 15, 2014