We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help / suggestions

Avoca, Iowa
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help / suggestions

We were going to drive from Iowa originally but have now decided to fly into SLC.

Lodging was just obtained last Saturday AM for YNP, so just thrilled we got in park lodging at this late of a date. Therefore the order/locations probably aren't the most logical.

July 5 - arrive in SLC approx. 4:00 PM. Get rental car and head north. At this time planning to stay in Idaho Falls, ID.

July 6 - up early, head east to Jackson and then north thru Grand Tetons. Stop at least once. Jenny Lake? Then on to YNP. We stay at Lake Yellowstone Hotel.

July 7 - ? We stay at Canyon Lodge this night.

July 8 - Stay at Mammoth Hot Springs

July 9 - I booked a "Wake Up with the Wild" or something like that historic Yellowbus tour. It will go to Lamar valley and I don't know if anywhere else. Its $170 so I wouldn't be opposed to cancelling it if that's possible. But could also keep it as scheduled.

We stay at Canyon Lodge this night.

July 10 - Up and head towards SLC. Will go thru GTNP again with another possible stop there. Open to suggestions. I know its about 8 hr drive minimum from YNP to SLC. I suppose longer if we take the more scenic route thru GTNP.

We stay downtown SLC this night near Temple Square, etc.

July 11 - 9:00 4hr SLC city tour, 2:30 PM 2 hr Salt Lake tour. 7:30 PM, watch Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice.

July 12 - Up early and drive approx 2 hrs east on Hwy 40 to where DH's grandparent homesteaded in the 1910's. Hopefully can drive onto or else walk onto the property. It starts about 1/2 mile off main road.

Back to SLC. Flight home leaves about 4:50 PM.

Thanks, Lori

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,339 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Itinerary help / suggestions

That looks like a great plan. Hope you can get to Red Lodge that first night altho the drive from Billings isn't bad. Red Lodge just has more charm than Billings. Cody is a good overnight since you are going to the rodeo. There is a 24 hr WalMart on the west side of town before the rodeo grounds and I would be willing to bet they have bear spray. It's probably available in a number of places in Red Lodge as well and yes, available in Billings.

Mammoth looks good for your first in-park night as well as the following 2 at OF. I hope you get what you want room-wise!

Last summer I got a waist pack with 2 water bottle holders. I put water in one, lol and the bear spray goes in the right one since I am right handed and I wear it in front of me. I scared the stew out of myself walking on my local bike trail last year...thought it was a wolf in front of me but it was a coyote...so I have been using it on my daily walks. I had it on in the geyser basin (altho oddly had forgotten it when the Ranger came by with the news about the nearby bear!). One guy stopped me on the boardwalk and asked why I was carrying a fire extinguisher! I said...not a fire extinguisher, bear spray. So...look around for something comfortable to carry it in unless you routinely wear a belt on your Yellowstone pants and can clip it on.

I usually keep mine in the car as well even though I know you are not supposed to. Once it gets really hot I will bring it in each day after I walk.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Itinerary help / suggestions

Walmart in Laurel & Cody has always had bearspray, but not in Red Lodge. You can get it with its own holster, then keep the holster for your next trip to Yellowstone;)

Wish you could fly into Billings July 3- since Red Lodge is quite the 4th of July small town with an hour long parade, rodeo & fireworks (if no fire danger). If your flight is right you could get to Red Lodge for the rodeo 3 PM:

http://redlodgerodeo.com

It's the busiest day in Red Lodge! Since you're not excited about Cody, you could do rodeo in Red Lodge & have a 4th night in Yellowstone..... hmmmm!

Avoca, Iowa
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Itinerary help / suggestions

Hmmm is right. Checked and we could fly the 3rd leaving Omaha 8ish PM and be in Billings at midnight.

Husband wants to go to Little Big Horn though so trying to figure that out.

If we went to Little Big Horn July 4th AM and were there by 9:00, could spend 3 hrs which sounds like plenty and still be to Red Lodge for 3:00 rodeo. Would miss the parade but that's okay. We'd see the fire works too.

When google maps shows about 2 hrs from Little Big Horn to Red Lodge is that accurate? Or do roads dictate slower speeds for any of that route?

Pam, unfortunately we bought the bear spray with holster last year but gave it away with the spray. Really weren't planning on going back. I figured we'd go somewhere new but if you like it why not? And GNP will be new.

34. Re: Itinerary help / suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2015