We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Belgium
Level Contributor
147 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Hi all

During our summer trip, we'll be visiting YS NP from July 4 till July 7. First two nights at the Canyon Lodge, followed by two more at the OF Snow Lodge.

I've read Janet Chapple's great book and hope to be well prepared, except for our meals...

How does breakfast work?

For lunch, I guess whe can buy sandwiches in the morning and eat them on marked zones in the park?

In the evening, we'll be looking for a decent place to eat, as close as possible to our room. We're not there for fancy dining, just a nice meal after a busy day of exploring the park.

I keep reading restaurants are overcrowded en overpriced, so any advice is welcome.

Any suggestions, also about making reservations, waiting lines, dinner times, etc. are very much appreciated!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Hi,

This link will explain all of the dining options in Yellowstone, including their style (cafeteria or dining room).

When you click on each location, the second tab down "details" will explain whether or not reservations are required. I know that reservations are required at Lake Hotel and Old Faithful Inn's Dining room, but the Canyon Dining Room for instance does not allow reservations, and it is first come first serve.

Yes, due to the captive crowd staying at the park, the restaurants will be very busy. The service varies from year to year so its difficult to tell what you will expect and as far as the price point, I feel like its expensive but then again, I'll just go to the cafeteria anyway because I don't need a gut load of food. Some big eaters might enjoy a buffet for instance, and feel like they got their money's worth.

You can also visit reviews for the restaurants you intend to visit to get an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind, things could be different year to year due to the seasonal nature of the park and employees.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Let me add BlueBird's link ;)

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Dining-76.…

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Xantera locations have a variety of restaurants and the General stores also have places to eat. From fast food, cafeteria, diner, restaurant or buffet. I like the cafeteria at canyon, unless they changed it, you pay a set price based on size of plate, just pick what you want.

You can get box lunches from the mail restaurants or get supplies at one of the small groceries in the park. I always have a small cooler that I use to keep food and drinks in for the day. You can eat anywhere, I frequently have lunch sitting by a streamside or lake or in a meadow. The picnic areas are especially convenient for groups with a picnic table and toilet facilities nearby.

Xantera Dining

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Dining-76.…

Belgium
Level Contributor
147 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

thanks so much, very helpfull (including the link :))!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Sorry about the link. Thanks Denalicat!

My personal feedback - Yes, I really liked the cafeteria at Canyon, the cafteria at Lake Yellowstone lodge - not so much. I've had special event dinners at Old Faithful Inn and although the atmosphere is awesome, the food and service is lacking. I do enjoy the Snow Lodge and their food is pretty good. The only downside is I always remember there being a long wait.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

In the canyon area, I had a great meal I picked up at the grocery store for dinner one night. They had barbecue ribs under a hot light, I got some potato salad from the fridge, bread, and some fruit and had a nice dinner in my cabin relaxed and quiet and then fell into bed.;)

I had a horrific meal once in the canyon cafeteria for dinner and at Lake Lodge cafeteria almost inedible. There is a nice salad bar in the dining room at canyon which I have eaten at, I did not order food the menu so can't advise on that. I have also eaten at the small diner inside the little grocery/gift shop at canyon and it was very good. They have good soup, and their sandwiches are fresh, and their fries are very good and omg their pickles are to die for! hahahaha, (Just like the Hamilton Store at Old Faithful).

I have had the buffet breakfast at Old Faitful Snow Lodge and it was overpriced, small, not very fresh, and not that great. If you eat breakfast there I would suggest to order off the menu. Old Faithful cafeteria to me was better than other cafeterias in the park, but not really great and wonderful.

My advice would be to eat the huckleberry ice cream whenever and where ever it is available to you. hahahaha, counting the days til I get another cone of that. :)

The little groceries in the park have lots of items for snacks, etc. to eat on the go.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Would you be bringing a cooler with you?? That is the best thing to do...and fill it with all sorts of snacks and foods for breakfasts and lunches!!! We ate dinners at OF , Lake, and Roosevelt. Not impressed with OF and Lake at all.....would have rather saved the money and ate from our cooler!! Roosevelt however was a different story. Best food of the trip and wished we could have eaten there the whole week!!! Breakfast was awesome there as well!! But i would really consider a cooler, then you can eat whenever and wherever you wish!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

I really enjoy the grill/soda fountain restaurants located inside the general stores (Canyon's is the biggest and best, but there are similar general stores located throughout the park). Good burgers, chili, hot dogs, the best ice cream ever! And reasonably priced.

I agree that Roosevelt Dining Room is great- be sure to stop there if you happen to be in that area during mealtime. I enjoy the Old Faithful Inn dining room for ambiance (agree that the food is pretty mediocre), but be sure to make a reservation. Even if you don't eat dinner at the OFI, spend an evening relaxing in the lobby (there is a bar on the second floor, if you want cocktails).

As others have said, packing a cooler with sandwich fixings, etc. is the easiest thing to do for lunch. It is stressful trying to plan each day's activities to make sure you are near a restaurant at lunchtime.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,406 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

We have eaten at the Old Faithful Inn and had a nice meal. Yes it was expensive but good and the atmosphere and scenery more than makes up for the price.

We have eaten at the Canyon Cafeteria and it was not good at all. Also had burgers, etc. at the cafe/grill at Mammoth and it was ok.

When you go to the parks you are really there for the scenery, etc. and not for the food. If you want a great meal then head to Jackson Hole. Lots of excellent restaurants there.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating in Yellowstone summer 2013

Check out this link that we recently bumped for some new ideas for food -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k54931…