We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Hubby & I are flying into W. Yellowstone Airport on Sat Aug 24 & flying out the following Sat the 31st. The only lodging we could get was the first 3 nights @ Canyon and the last 4 @ Grant Village. Where should we plan to go/area each day? We are not hikers...walkers. We enjoy wild life, photography & of course want to see as many thermal features as possible..needless to say, this is our first trip there. We've ordered the "trip planning kit". I've read a ton of questions on TA, but to be honest, the more I read, the more overwhelmed I'm feeling. Will a week be enough time to see a lot of areas? Would a day trip to Grand Tetons be too much to try to incorporate into this trip? Please help us...we've excited, but at this point, rattled too. Thank you in advance to the wonderful helpers out there for us first timers!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Don't feel overwhelmed. You are in business.

From Canyon, explore north and west. From Grant you can explore the lake area and the Old Faithful area. A day trip to the tetons would work well from there, too. The only tweak I would suggest looking at, and it wouldn't be an absolute necessity, would be to call Xanterra sometimes and see if some of the Grant nights can be switched to the Old Faithful area.

Now relax, you are going to have a great vacation!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Are you doing both Black Hills and Yellowstone on this trip? Have answered many of your questions on the South Dakota forum.

The Canyon lodging is great- it is the most central location in the park- but imo Grant Village is out of the way and not near any of the major sights.

I would take a day trip down thru the Grand Tetons or either plan on spending one night at Signal Mt. or Colter Bay in the Tetons.

If you keep checking Xanterra you may get lucky and find a room at Old Faithful because cancellations occur all the time. If you want to see the geysers then I would want to get a night at OF.

The last night I would spend in West Yellowstone unless you have a late afternoon flight.

Pam and others are great at the detailed trip plans but will provide you with a link to some of the most popular sights in the park. Of course your interests will dictate how and where you spend your time.

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions. Also if you can get a copy of the book Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple that would be a great help in planning.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Thank you so much for your imput! That does make me feel better. I'll keep checking on the Old Faithful area throughout the days!

Thanks again.....I'll probably be back with more questions.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

We were checking back & forth between a Yellowstone Trip (which is what we preferred) & a South Dakota trip. But, I got a notice this am that the airfair rate to Yellowstone had dropped quite a bit from where it had been before. We're using credit card flyer miles, which limited the airports we could fly in/out of which in turn, determined where we would be going to on vacation....I already had secured Yellowstone lodging a while back since I knew I could cancel if need be fairly late in the game....so, here we are, Yellowstone bound. Woo Hoo!

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
502 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Your trip is the exact same dates as ours. I have been checking for cancellation and have double booked a couple of nights in the Old Faithful area. Depending on how it works out, I will cancel 3 nights at Old Faithful inn w/ shared bath (aug 27-30) or 2 nights at old faithful lodge in budget or frontier cabin (aug27-29). I can let you know when I am going to cancel if you would like. I am hoping to get Old Faithful lodge for the night of the 29th.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Great!! You will love Yellowstone and hope you can plan to go to the Black Hills another year.

Also good news from stray_chicken about lodging at OF.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

Hello Stray_chicken, thank you so much for the lodging offer at the Old Faithful area! !!!!That would be fantastic. Does the OF Lodge in bucket/frontier cabin have a private bath??? Good luck with getting reservations at the Lodge!! !! I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip. We are so excited about this trip.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

>>>Depending on how it works out, I will cancel 3 nights at Old Faithful inn w/ shared bath (aug 27-30) or 2 nights at old faithful lodge in budget or frontier cabin (aug27-29). I can let you know when I am going to cancel if you would like. I am hoping to get Old Faithful lodge for the night of the 29th.<<<

If I might make a suggestion . . .

If you do find yourself changing plans and cancelling, perhaps you can call Xanterra and make the changes by phone to the other family. I'm afraid that if you cancel and they are dependent on being "lucky" to catch it, they may lose out.

I found that Xanterra was VERY accommodating and helpful in booking, updating, changing and cancelling reservations when I was dealing with my own stuff last summer.

Just a thought.

Edited: 10:21 am, May 10, 2013
Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
502 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

I am really excited about this trip as well. We went in 2007 and it was our hands down favorite trip we have taken. I think you will really enjoy it. We are flying Cincinnati OH to Salt Lake City to Butte, Mt. Would have loved to fly into West Yellowstone but at $200+ extra per person we couldn't afford it. If you are connecting through Salt Lake City we might pass into the airport.

Our itinerary is 2 nights Mammoth Hotel, 2 nights Signal Mountain Lodge at Grand Teton, 2 nights somewhere at Old Faithful, and last night near airport. Regarding our reservations at Old Faithful Lodge - we have two rooms currently booked. One is a budget cabin with 2 doubles at $69 per night. The other is a frontier cabin with a double and and single at $115 per night I think. The budget cabin does not have bathroom but the frontier cabin does. I am not sure which one we perfer (I keep asking myself if a bathroom is worth $40 when the cheaper cabin has a bigger bed) so I guess the one we keep may depend on what cancellation we can find for the 29th.

Grand Teton is definitely worth a day trip. The mountains and lakes are breathtaking. You might considering doing one of the snake river float trips within the park in Grand Teton NP. It was one of the highlights of our trip in 2007.

I did read that their is construction on the road between the two parks with up to 30 min delays.

I will send you a message when I am thinking of cancelling. If you are interested in the picking up one of the reservations, I can wait and cancel it right when you are ready to book it so you can get it before someone else does. I like the idea of getting the provider to transfer the reservation over the phone, but I don't think they would do that unless I had personal information from you - and that might work for family or friend but not for someone you have never met. But I think we can get it to work out anyway.

Happy Trip Planning! 3 1/2 months to go!!!

Edited: 12:17 pm, May 10, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info Overload-Please help w/ August 2013 Yellowstone Trip

>>>I like the idea of getting the provider to transfer the reservation over the phone, but I don't think they would do that unless I had personal information from you - and that might work for family or friend but not for someone you have never met. But I think we can get it to work out anyway.<<<

Maybe a three-way conference call?