We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

After much trying I was finally able to get some Xanterra reservations, to get was was left I booked 2 overlapping reservations, so I need to sort this out. I can do either 2 nights at Old Faithful Snow Lodge plus 1 night at Canyon Lodge or 1 night at OFSL plus 2 nights at Canyon Lodge. At both locations I have Western Cabin reserved. My two must sees for this trip will be the Upper Geyser Basin and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, so I think I'm covered either way, but wondering if one lodging facility is nicer than the other. The OFSL cabins seems to be newer and less numerous, the Canyon Lodge cabins seem to be situated in a prettier setting (Western Cabins are in loop P from what I understand).

Any suggestion if you had to decide 2-1 or 1-2? Thanks in advance!

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

The old faithful snowlodge western cabins are in a more open setting. There is a great deal more activity in Old Faithful with all kinds of people everywhere, but on the plus side, you'll see old faithful go off many times, perhaps even with no one on the boardwalks in the later evening or a bonus night time viewing if you're there with a full moon. You'll have a greater opportunity to really explore the geyser basins without feeling crunched for time. All of the facilities are fairly close to one another.

Canyon's western cabins on the other hand are artfully laid out in a very wooded setting. It's very peaceful under the pines. There used to be a 1/2 mile cut-off walking trail from P area through the woods to the canyon - I am not sure if this trail is still in existence though - you'd have to check with the visitor center. It is a bit of a walk from P area to the Canyon Village proper - perhaps as much as a 1/2 mile walk. Canyon Village in general has much less hub-bub of activity than Old Faithful, so it depends on what you're looking for. The Ranger Talks at the Canyon Campground are fairly close to the Village too - so that's always a fun evening activity.

So it just depends on what kind of people you are - like the action and the geysers, or a more subdued second night.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Canyon is more central to the park, allowing better access to the northern part of the park (Lamar, Tower, Mammoth, Hayden) but it's pretty close to six of one, half dozen of the other.

ENJOY!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,474 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Just my opinion but think it depends on your interests- geysers or wildlife, etc.?

Geysers- then 2 nights at OF

Wildlife, scenery, more central location- 2 nights at Canyon

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Does anyone know when the Dunraven Pass segment of the figure 8 opens? I thought I saw that it does not open until mid-June which would be after my travel dates - making Canyon Lodge not necessarily convenient to Tower and Lamar.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,474 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

The NPS online trip planner newspaper states May 24, 2013-

nps.gov/yell/…13trip_planner_new.pdf

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Different info in other places- Mid June is listed elsewhere. Basically, it will depend on plowing and current weather conditions. you can check on plowing here :http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/plowing.htm

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Thanks peachbelle and thbergs, my understanding is that the sequestor delayed some of the opening dates. I saw a website with a "mid-June" 2013 opening date for Dunraven Pass.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Dunraven Pass is one of the best examples of ignoring the printed schedule and focusing on the weather. I think it has opened either before or after schedule each of the last three years. And once it opens it typically closes again for a day or so, sometimes several times, with fresh snow. Plan for the worst and you may get lucky.

ENJOY!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

I am curious- what did you decide on lodging?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nites @ OFSL + 1 Canyon Lodge or 1 OFSL +2 Canyon Lodge

Probably the 2 OFSL +1 Canyon but I'll keep checking Xanterra for availability for more nights at either or both.