We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

Hi,

I am visiting Yellowstone for 5 days starting on 29th May. I was curious to know what were the 'must see' places there? Is the time I am spending there long enough, or is it too much?

Also, any suggestions for good hikes? I know I am in bear country, so if you have a suggestion for maybe one that is a busy trail. I had a run in with a Grizz in the Canadian Rockies, and as much as it was a beautiful lifetime memory (scary as hell, mind...) - I wish not to repeat it. Just incase my luck is low ;)

But guys, this is a once in a lifetime trip - so any advice would be welcome. I am at a campsite there (norris), and will be travelling by car.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

You'll want to keep an eye on the park's website, and when there, re: which roads are open. If the Dunraven Pass road is closed you'll be adding many miles of driving. Not necessarily a bad thing, lots to see by backtracking, just be aware of it.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

I'll be there again the first week of June and hope the Pass road is cleared.

Re: things to see, endless, and, unless you are hiking, much is along the figure 8 main road. With five days, you don't really need an itinerary. And you'll be going back to some locations, and have the time to do so. But, if you want an itinerary, see Dobby's detailed planning for other posters on this forum or PeachBelle's top ten things to see.

Edited: 7:10 pm, May 06, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

I would get a reservation for Madison campground for driving in the first night in Yellowstone. Then get up at the crack of dawn to get the first-come/first-serve campground at Norris.

Pick up bear spray for hiking & have it handy in a holster.

Here is a great summary of some of the most popular hikes in the park:

nps.gov/yell/…YellDayHike2012.pdf

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Some areas will be closed for wildlife management, so check with rangers at visitor centers regarding hikes.

Here are the ranger-led hikes so you won't have to hike alone:

nps.gov/yell/…YTRangerProg13.pdf

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

Thank you so much for your advice guys! It has been most helpful :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

For edification:

Wildlife Viewing and Photography: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

For informative fun:

Yellowstone Newbies - Things You Need to Know http://tinyurl.com/7e62x72

5. Re: Advice on things to see, over 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 10, 2014