We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

CA
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

Crazy trip to plan. June 11 through June 23. Husband, wife from Northern California, One daughter from LAX on 6-11, one daughter from London arriving on June 15 to jac.( thus must be at JAC on 6- 15 for pickup) All leave on 6-23. Price to fly to SLC same as BZN which city is best? Jac too expensive from ca. Want to stay at jenny lake lodge maybe 2 or 3 nights( they have rooms currently) no other ideas. Yellowstone hotels are booked, will call and beg tomorrow. We enjoy doing everything, daughters age 25 & 28. All help and ideas are greatly appreciated. Is this too crazy?

CA
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

More news updated. 12th through the 16th in Jackson hole. Night of 16th 17th and 18th open. 19th Lake Hotel, 20th old faithful, 21st Canyon, open on night of 22nd ( in Salt Lake airport area) fly out on the 23rd. Trying to decide between Jenny Lake Lodge and and Jackson Lake Lodge , for nights of 16th 17th and 18th. Husband wants 16th and 17th at Jenny Lake then Jackson Lake for 18th, I'm concerned about too much moving around. Can't get a handle on whether Jenny Lake is worthy of the price. Husband doesn't think one night is enough to determine the experience although don't want to pay for three nights there. Thank you all for telling me to be patient and continuing to call look for cancellations in Yellowstone. I called twice a day Still nervous about all the days and what to do. Thank you again in advance

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

I have no advice on the Jackson Lodging, but I would keep trying for another (making 2 in a row) at Old Faithful and not move 3 times because Lake and Canyon are so close together, unless you want Roosevelt for the cook-out. If it doesn't work, you still have great nights in the park!

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
CA
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

I would prefer not to move three times in the park also. Old Faithful appears very difficult to get an extra night should I go for an extra night at Canyon or Lake hotel? Is the Roosevelt cookout really good and how long of a drive from which location? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

Cookout is at Roosevelt. 30-45 minutes from Canyon or Mammoth. Ribeye steak dinner with all the fixin's. Either ride the wagons out or for extra cost horseback rides (if weather is good) out and back. Singing cowboy entertainment. Kids seem to like it a lot. Good chance to see wildlife out and back.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

well, with your Old Faithful in the middle, I'm not sure how you would work that, because if you can get one night either way at OF to allow for 2 in a row at Canyon or Lake, it would make two at OF anyway. Does that make any sense? The good thing with the lodging cancellation policy is that it allows for almost last minute changes, so keep looking. You will have to decide on the cookout- and it may be booked up anyway? I have not done it, but my daughter recommends it, as well as friends that did last summer with college age kids.

With all adults, you can make each take care of their own stuff when moving lodging. You can check in late if you want and check out early, so the time spent on moving will be minimized.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
26. Re: Very last-minute trip and need lots of help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 10, 2014