We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entrance Fee

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Entrance Fee

We'll be staying at GTNP and YNP for 11 nights (total) in their campgrounds.

We will be physically entering/passing a booth at GTNP once and YNP twice.

Do we only pay an entrance fee each time we enter the park (3x) or is the entrance fee a daily fee for being on property (11x)?

Edited: 4:41 pm, April 20, 2013
1. Re: Entrance Fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:11 pm, July 09, 2016
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entrance Fee

Even though you're staying longer than one week, you might be able to avoid the second $25 charge for the second week, depending on when you move from park to park and in which direction. Consider this:

1. When you exit either park, you are not asked for a current pass at the exit.

2. When you exit GTNP going north to Yellowstone, you will be asked for a pass when you enter the south gate of YNP.

3. However, when you exit the south gate of YNP and later enter GTNP from the north, there is no gate at that location.

It's the rules for a board game.

Edited: 6:14 pm, April 20, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Entrance Fee

Are the booths manned all night long? We'll be returning from the Cody rodeo late one night.

K S
Auburn, California
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entrance Fee

I will add a small caveat, but this was back in Summer, 2008. We were asked to show our pass when exiting YNP twice. The South Entrance for sure but we can't remember if the other was the North or West Entrance. Maybe they aren't checking any more but they did then.

We get the Annual Pass ($50) which is unlimited entrance/exit at GTNP and YNP since we're always there over 7 days & day-trip in & out multiple times, but were only asked the two times.

No, the gates are not manned overnight. I'm not sure when they close in the evening. I know someone will be right along with that info!

Edited: 7:03 pm, April 20, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entrance Fee

Or if someone in your group is 62+, they qualify for the Senior Pass for $10 for a lifetime pass.

That is interesting about the South entrance gate, Bill. I did not know that. We had a discussion last summer about going over the 7 days and exiting Yellowstone (I believe the specific instance was thru the North Gate) and some people indicated they had been stopped there and were asked to show their pass as they exited the park.

I've not been in the East gate (only out) so I don't know what time they stop manning the booths but they do stop at some point in time on the West gate. At the West gate they are always there at 0600, though. I'm wondering if the times it is staffed will decrease this year due to cut-backs. (That is purely conjecture!)

To the OP, I would probably go for either the $50 yearly pass for YNP/GTNP or the $80 pass if you will be going to any other National Parks within the year. (Or the Old person pass that I have, lol)

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entrance Fee

Rats, waited too long and can't edit my reply. Here is the link to the thread from last year which started as a discussion on how long 7 days actually is but went on to a discussion about exit checks.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k55045…

(Ystoner's response in that thread may be indicative of what may occur this year as well.)

Mister_Mr_D, I hope you will post a Trip Report for us when you come back and in particular, let us know how things worked out ~and~ whether that East gate was manned/person-ed/Ranger'd when you came thru. I think we have already given you the educational lecture about not driving in Yellowstone at night, right?

Pam

Edited: 7:18 pm, April 20, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entrance Fee

We'll be leaving once to do the Beartooth then later that night returning from the Cody rodeo. The only other time we'll be leaving is when we leave for good.

After GTNP and YNP, we'll be heading to the Badlands area. I think we'll only be entering BNP once though - we'll be staying at Custer State Park. From what I've read, Mt. Rushmore is excluded from the pass because it's run by a company.

Pam, you reminded me that we'll be heading to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (MI) and the Perdido Key National Lakeshore (FL) this year. I'll have to look into what they charge to see if that $80 pass is worth it.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Entrance Fee

Thanks for the thread link - I did a search but didn't see that one.

I will definitely be posting a trip report when we return. I have learned so much from others doing the same plus all the experts so it will be my way of paying it forward/back.

I've been told several times about how dangerous it is to drive at night and I promise I'm not brushing anyone off. I'll be driving very slow and will be hyper aware. The next day we're planning on sleeping in and staying close to the CG.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entrance Fee

We really do get a good deal of enjoyment in reading about folk's adventures in the park. Each person, of course, has a different trip and it is fun to see who saw what, who liked what and who ate what, good or bad!

We love links to pictures as well, hint, hint.

Pam

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entrance Fee

Yes, Links to pictures. Don't post pics on TA. I did that once and two of my photos ended up on A Florida companies advertising. It was a complete fluke that I found them. I sent messages to the companies to please give me a photo credit or take the photo down. They both chose to take it down. One of them told me they got the photo off TA. I asked TA to please remove my photos and they did. Now, when I post links my photos have a copyright on them.