We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing on the Snake River

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Sightseeing on the Snake River

I really hate to appear stupid but I have a question about "float trips" on the Snake River. Is the only way to float on the river by rafts? I'm a real chicken and would like a real boat (like a pontoon type). Thanks for any info.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

I'm not aware of any float trips other than by raft, but it's not a question I've ever looked into. But for safety sake, rafts are probably the best way to go, since they're very stable, easy to maneuver, and have little draw.

Edited: 1:51 pm, April 20, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,387 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Very safe and no problem- have done it several times with Barker Ewing.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Snake River float trips are close to being - but not quite - perfectly, absolutely, 100%, totally and completely safe. Accidents do happen, though it's very rare.

www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=557

Edited: 6:30 pm, April 20, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Thanks so much for your quick response. I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to scope it out when we get there. Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Teton - thanks for the link. That was two weeks before we took a scenic float trip out Jackson Lake Lodge and this is the first I'm hearing of it. We have a party of 9 during it this year - none of whom have ever been on a float trip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Bob, I didn't include the post to scare anyone, but just to show that there are some risks involved, however slight. After all, a float trip here isn't a ride at Disney World. But if anyone in your party is concerned, you can always call the outfitter a day or two ahead and ask about river conditions. But all the river outfitters are safety conscious, they know the river, the passengers wear life jackets, and it's about as safe a trip as it can be.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

The water will run faster and higher in spring and early summer. I'm not sure when you plan to travel. By the time I have always traveled and gone on the float trips it has been late August and once in early September and the depth of the water was more shallow and the flow of the river was much slower. You each have on a life vest. You do however sign a waiver releasing the company of any fault prior to departure. On the float trips I've been on, you can easily see the bottom of the river and in some parts it was very shallow. I know still accidents can happen, but I found it very safe.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Teton: re - Bob, I didn't include the post to scare anyone

I understood, and I agree about the trips being as safe as can be - safer than driving and appreciate the reasson for including the link. I was just surprised a extremely rare of an occurance as that incident was given the large number of trips and participants that I havdn't heard it before.

Just wondering if I should let my daughters and son-in-laws know upfront or tell them after we have have had a great morning on the river, lol.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

After. The point of the trip is floating on the river and enjoying the day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing on the Snake River

Teton - Well I eventually told the entire family about the 2006 float accident and the article, explaining how extremely, extremely rare is was given that 63,000 people ride that section each year and that they were safer on the float than they were any time they got into their car and your comments in post #3 above. Debated with myself about telling them upfront for 6 weeks and though I didn't want to, I thought was only right to tell them and let them decide.

Everyone decided to go and we had a great scenic float out of Jackson Lake Lodge down the 10 mile section within GTNP. Our party of 11 (8 adults, 3 children - 9 first timers to GTNP and floats,) had the raft to ourselves so it was like a private tour. My wife volunteered to remain back at the lodge with our 4 year old grandson so his mother could experience it. She had done the float on two previous trips.

This was my third Scenic float by JJL and by far the best. The boatsman or guide was terrific - told us we now could say we were with "Jake on the Snake". Jake said he's been with JJL 8 years, and also spent 3 years at the Grand Canyon doing trips. Jake was Extremely knowledgeable, entertaining and accommodating. Don't know how busy he is but I would definitly recommend that if possible they ask to float with Jake on the Snake out of JJL.

After our 2-/12 days in Jackson & GTNP everyone of my children and their spouses were ready to move to Jackson. We back in Philly with hot, humid weather and two of them texted this morning that they wish they were back in the 60 degree Wyoming weather.

On a side note we had breakfast at the Virginian as your recommended - Fast, friendly service; very good quality food (including 10" pancakes); reasonable family price - great breakfast.

.We had a great family trip.

Thanks