We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

Arlington, Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

Hi, I am wondering if the lodges &/or cabins in Yellowstone have cooking facilities. I have severe dietary restrictions and cooking for myself is the easiest way to ensure I don't get sick. I am wondering how to handle that while staying in Yellowstone. Thoughts or ideas??

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

I'm no expert, but I don't believe there are any cooking facilities in lodges or cabins in the park. You could consider staying in West Yellowstone, Silver Gate or Cooke City (northeast), or Gardiner (north of Mammoth) in a cabin or motel with a kitchenette.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

You will not be able to cook in any of the cabins/hotel rooms inside Yellowstone Park. There are some picnic areas where you can cook with a propane grill and or propane stove so that might be an option for you. There are some hotels with kitchenette options in Gardiner and West Yellowstone which might be an option for you too.

This is a link that will allow you to look at menus for each dining area inside Yellowstone Park. It is from last year but it will at least give you an idea. Once you click on the link choose a dining area on the left side. When that page opens up click on the tab that says "details". Scroll down a little ways and you will see where you can click on menus for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and also gluten-free meals.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Dining-76.…

Deb

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

You didn't specify what your dietary restrictions are but just FYI I have Celiac Disease and have found that eating gluten free in the Park has never been a problem. All the major lodge restaurants are able to safely accommodate Celiacs. They were even able to pack me a 'safe' picnic lunch to go. I've eaten at the grill at Old Faithful Snow Lodge with no problem. I usually just remember to pack some snacks, a jar of peanut butter (obviously no good if you have a peanut allergy!) & a loaf of bread, just in case. I know the rooms at the Snow Lodge have small fridges. Not sure about the other lodges. We usually RV but stayed at the OFSL twice during the winter. I've eaten at the Obsidian Dining Room, Old Faithful Dining Room, and Mammoth Dining Room with nary a problem.

I would suggest you contact the kitchens where you are thinking of staying & speaking to the kitchen manager or head chef. Explain your restrictions & see if they are able to accommodate you.

If you feel like specifying what your restrictions are, there may be people here who can address your particular concerns with their own experiences.

And Good Luck to you. Traveling with dietary restrictions takes planning!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

Staying in West Yellowstone may be your best bet. It may add some to your driving, but better than getting sick. Also Gardiner in the north has some cabin/suite type lodging options. Here's one in WYS we have looked at http://www.hibernationstation.com/

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,181 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

And dietary restrictions or no, we always suggest a stop for a cooler and supplies if you are flying. Often you are far away from a restaurant or general store when you are hungry for a meal or a snack.

We had a fairly long picnic thread going last summer (with some diversions, of course) which might give you some ideas.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k54931…

Pam

6. Re: cooking facilities in lodges & cabins in YNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 16, 2014