We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide...early May camping??

Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide...early May camping??

I've never been in the park in early May, although early June was *cold* in the mornings.

However, I would be sleeping in our pick-up camper shell on mattress with down sleeping bags & lots of blankets, rather than tent.

I'm thinking maybe I'll come in the north entrance due to potential pass issues & start at Mammoth. Then head down to Madison campground for Hayden, leaving via east entrance.

Does anyone have any experience this early in shoulder season?

My impetus for going this early is to see more bears, the tiny cubs, wolves, other critters & have no crowds.

One of my questions is how much snow in Lamar or Hayden? I am assuming not enough for skis or snowshoes, but enough to make hiking challenging.

Does anyone remember if the Mammoth campground restrooms have electric outlets (to heat water)?? BearMan had said there were heaters so I am assuming outlets too.

What about the conditions of the pull-outs for wildlife viewing? Unplowed? Clear by then?

It's a tough decision and as I am a substitute teacher, I have to block out time ahead of time (like NOW!)

Hoping some of you will have words of wisdom!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help me decide...early May camping??

<< if we found a winterkill on a trail that we could pull it into the brush >>

Last summer we watched four or six rangers, I don't recall exactly, pull a carcass farther from Mae West curve, in the open with long lines of sight. Most of them were conspicuously armed with long guns. Of course, a grizzly had already claimed the carcass, and she looked like she needed all the food she could get.

You mean to say they didn't outfit you that way, with backup and long guns? Tsk, tsk.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help me decide...early May camping??

They didn't send along a ranger with a long gun, but I did have a nifty hat identifying me as an official park volunteer, which no doubt would have deterred any hungry grizzly.

When I hike or ride apart from my volunteer work, I always carry a .44 magnum to help level the playing field. My wife carries the bear spray, our first line of defense.

13. Re: Help me decide...early May camping??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 14, 2014