We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

I am looking into white water rafting for my family of 9 in the first week of June. I have plenty of companies and detailed information for the snake river in the Tetons.

I just found (or was emailed an ad) for the white water on the yellowstone river. Tying to figure out where these guys go out of.

We will be staying at Roosevelt in the park for 2 days, west yellowstone for 3 nights and then 3 nights in the Tetons. Seems like we have more time in Yellowstone, but I am trying to figure out where they are.

I have emailed some companies, but also wanted to ask my trip advisor peeps.

Also, differences in the rivers, or pretty much will it be the same trip. If you had a choice is one trip better then the other etc.

Would love any advice and understanding on location where the trips go out. From what I can tell it looks like it is north outside the park.

1. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, April 11, 2013
bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

Also thought of something....the Yellowstone River ones vs the Teton ones are half the cost..just curious why.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

Their are numerous outfits in Jackson Hole or GTNP that run raft trips - 2 hr senic, longer white water, even overnight combination of senic and white water. Try: www.jacksonholenet.com/summer_recreation/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

Guess I should edit first - Scenic, lol

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

We're staying 2 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge and have scheduled a 2 hr scenic trip with the lodge for 8:45 AM. The trip in entirely within the park and they pick you up at the lodge and return you about noon - convenient for our party of 11.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

THanks guys..I have already gotten lots of info on trips in the Tetons..trying to figure out if it is better or what the difference in the trips outside Gardinier ..they are half the cost. and for a family of 9 that is quite a bit. BUT it is like an 1.5 hours away..which might make up my mind....

but just wanted to get more info from people on the boards. we are doing the white water and not the scenic

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

There was a terrific review from last summer from a poster who had done rafting in both Gardiner and Jackson on the same trip. For the life of me I can't figure out what search terms to use to bring it up. I will keep looking. I also looked on the Montana forum in case it was in the Gardiner MT forum, but am coming up empty there.

Pam

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

Is the rafting company north of park in Gardiner or farther north? I have only done rafting starting in Gardiner, I will try to remember what time of year it was, but it was more of a float trip. Not many rapids at all. I would choose Tetons just for the chance of a better view. The river follows the road up in Gardiner, kind of takes away from the experience. It might be the same in the Tetons though too.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

If you want a whitewater trip, the Snake River Gorge is going to be more fun than the Yellowstone. If you don't want to come all the way south to Jackson, you could consider the South Fork of the Shoshone just east of the park.

The Snake River is dammed north of Jackson, and in the summer they let out a lot of water for irrigation in Idaho (for all those potatoes), so as a result the Snake has pretty good whitewater during the summer (#2 and #3 rapids). The Yellowstone isn't dammed (in fact, the Yellowstone is the longest un-dammed river in America), so whitewater is harder to find.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Water Rafting Trip from Yellowstone or From Tetons

<< the Yellowstone River ones vs the Teton ones are half the cost >>

The water on the Yellowstone north of Gardiner is mild. The water on the Snake south of Jackson is wild. If it's white water you want, definitely take a trip out of Jackson. If it's scenic you want, take a float within GTNP.