We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Hi. Hoping for some advice. My wife and I will be traveling to Yellowstone National Park this summer in July. Would love some help in planning the trip. We have 7 nights. We will be flying in from Boston. Based on my research, I thought we would fly round trip to/from Jackson Hole, WY. Our goal is to explore Yellowstone, Grand Teton (to a lesser degree), enjoy scenery, and relax. So, with that said, and with limited knowledge of Wyoming and Montana, I am tentatively planning the following: Arrive in Jackson Hole airport; drive to West Yellowstone and stay 3 nights; visit Yellowstone NP for 3 days; drive to Jackson Hole for 4 nights; visit Grand Teton, and simply relax for the next couple of days. From those familiar with the area, any suggestions or comments? Looking for a nice place to stay in West Yellowstone. So far, the best I find online that has availability during our stay is either the Comfort Inn, Yellowstone Park Hotel, Three Bears Lodge, Holiday Inn, or Clubhouse Inn. Familiar with any of these? Our thought was to stay in West Yellowstone because they had lodging close to YNP. Everything within YNP is already sold out. Is 3 nights enough? Also looking for recommendations to stay in Jackson Hole. The Lodge at Jackson Hole looks nice online. But again, looking for suggestions. Why 4 nights in Jackson Hole...only because by the time we get there from West Yellowstone and check in 1 night is gone. Then want to go to Grand Teton for 1 day, explore the town and nearby attractions for 1 day, and simply relax the last day at the hotel. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I should have made this much simpler by probably just asking, what would you recommend we do and stay if we have 7 nights this coming July. That would be helpful as well. Thanks so much.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

I would go for more days in Yellowstone than Grand Tetons as Yellowstone is way bigger. You may still be able to get lodging in the park as there are always vacancies that occur even tho it will show sold out on the website. Book only thru Xanterra.

Pam

Edited: 6:12 pm, March 24, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

I agree, try to get lodging inside Yellowstone Park. Try checking for individual nights on the website and even call them to see what is available. We had to cancel our lodging one year in June for a late July visit, so cancellations do happen. I would get something in West YS as a back up. Grey Wolf Suites was across from the Grizzly/Wolf Discovery Center, might hear wolf howls at night! visityellowstonepark.com/gray-wolf-inn-and-s… I've heard good things about Three Bears.

Plan on 4 nights in YS, 3 nights in Tetons/Jackson. Look at Jackson Lake Lodge or Colter Bay Cabins inside Teton NP and in Jackson there are tons of options. .

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,865 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

As noted, for sure go more days in Yellowstone than Grand Teton. And continue to try to get into the park. Sorry, but West Yellowstone to us is just not that attractive. National Park lodging is changing daily, so stay on top of it. Cancelation policy there is very loose so it tends to be very dynamic. Of your West Yellowstone options, I would go Three Bears.

Have fun.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Hi Pam. Thanks so much. I had planned on spending 3 full days at YNP, 1 at Grand Teton and the other 3 kind of just relaxing and exploring around Jackson Hole. However, based on the replies, will reconsider and spend 4 days at YNP. Didn't know about Xanterra. Will absolutely check it out. I would prefer staying in the park if at all possible. Would you stay at any of the places in the park if availability opens or would you stay away from any particular lodging? How about Jackson or Jackson Hole? At first I was thinking the Lodge at Jackson Hole. But as I looked more online, the following places looked really nice: Rustic Inn Creekside Resort & Spa, Rusty Parrot Lodge & Spa, Snake River Lodge & Spa, Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa. I don't care about the Spa part!. The Amanganni looked incredible but I would have to sell my house to be able to stay there! Thanks again. Any feedback you give regarding lodging, scenic drives, overall trip, is greatly appreciated.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Special thanks. Any scenic routes I should be considering or is it basically only one choice to go based on our destinations?

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Thanks. yes, Three Bears looks nice as a potential backup if I don't get into the park. Holiday Inn looked nicer but it is a chain and I was hoping to stay in a more customary lodging.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

HI. Was able to book Lake Yellowstone Hotel in the main hotel. Any opinion on this? Will keep calling for other availability. Also heard that Snake River Lodge in Jackson Hole was real nice. Again, thanks for all your feedback. W

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

There are some really nice hotels in JH. We like the Wyoming Inn, Rustic Inn, and Homewood suites.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

Warren, I have only toured the Lake Hotel, but would love to stay there in the main hotel. To me, it's like turning back the hands of time to turn-of-the-century rustic elegance! The architecture, views of the lake, the atrium. Sometimes I just stop there to take a break & sit in the atrium. I've even had great breakfasts in the restaurant.

Enjoy!

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
585 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July, 2013

I have seen the rooms at Lake Hotel in the past but they are currently doing a very large renovation so it's hard to say what they'll look like. I'm sure they'll be nice though, I've seen pictures of the bathrooms with new tubs and "old fashioned" subway tile. You'll have to take pictures and share!