We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit opening weekend

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
visit opening weekend

Hi Everyone-

My sister and I will be nearby Yellowstone for a wedding and are hoping to stop in Yellowstone April 28-30(from Gardnier, MT entrance) . Looks like we just barely will make it with the budget cuts from Mammoth to Old Faithful. We realize its not the optimum time to visit, but are thinking of it as a bonus visit if the weather holds. It sounds like the roads will be passible and plowed- but what does that exactly mean? Baring any winter storm, no snow and bare pavement or just plowed and drivable snow covered? Will just the main road be plowed and are you able to access the other off site attractions(i.e parkinig lots to other geysers along the way to old faithful, etc?)? We've been to Mammoth before in the winter and hoping to expand to beyond Mammoth. Also trying to decided what type of vehicle to rent... Thanks again

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: visit opening weekend

When the park opens a road it means that it has been plowed. Here is a pic of the road from Norris to Canyon the weekend it was opened two years agoa

…photobucket.com/albums/…017-1.jpg

One thing to remember is that even though a road has been opened the weather can change pretty quickly and the road conditions can get down right nasty in a short amount of time. I've had that happen to me many times even on Memorial Weekend. There have been times I've white-knuckled driven going about 5 mph after getting stuck on the some very icy, snowy roads in the park that were bare and dry just 30 minutes earlier.

If the roads are open to Old Faithful the parking lot will be plowed for parking (or at least part of it). The boardwalks are allowed to melt naturally- they do not shovel or plow them so be prepared for that. Most pullouts are allowed to melt naturally. Some of the drives in the Old Faithful area (Firehole Canyon Drive ) will be closed due to Bear Management Area.

Old Faithful parking lot April 23, 2011 (a record winter for snow)

…photobucket.com/albums/…095.jpg

Deb

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit opening weekend

Thanks for the photos- they really help- andn inforamtion about the pullouts, etc. We will bring snow gear... I will keep an eye out on the weather- I'm not really interested in driving around in a rental car if its too stormy out.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
535 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit opening weekend

Chinookgrrl! What's up? I knew your log in seemed familiar. I said to my husband, "1024 posts, this lady has helped me before." I perused your profile, and you answered my question in June 2011 re pronghor ranch vs Brasada Ranch vs Sunriver. Small trip advisor world!!

Have a great trip to Yellowstone. We had a blast at Brasada Ranch...found a great deal.

Happy Travels.

4. Re: visit opening weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 13, 2014