We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

PA
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

Any suggestions on good guide books... besides the AAA ones.

Looking for hikes, day trip ideas, maps, history, background, nature.

THANKS, in advance, for any & all responses!

1. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:17 pm, July 09, 2016
Edited: 9:17 pm, July 09, 2016
PA
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

Wow! Thanks, Ystoner! This reading list will keep me busy til our trip in just 4 months.

Any advice &/or suggestions on easy-ish (under 5 mile) hikes in YNP or GTNP?

Any & alltips are welcome!

Getting excited... have wanted to go to YNP since college when my favorite professor was a summer employee there & spoke often of the park.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

I'm a fan of Yellowstone Treasures, because Janet Chapple responds, I think, to most of your questions. Plus, she provides mileages between points, both coming and going.

Read more in the Amazon site, below.

That will get you started. For more depth, the other books are useful.

amazon.com/Yellowstone-Treasures-Travelers-C…

Edited: 7:34 pm, February 20, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

For those of us who love the thermal features, Geysers of Yellowstone by T. Scott Bryan is our go-to reference book.

I also like the kind of expensive, way-too-heavy-to-bring-on-an-airplane-but fine-for-us-car-travelers book called Yellowstone Expedition Guide. Lovely pictures!

Here is the link to the hikes on the NPS website:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Your hiking choices will be dependent on when you are planning to visit the park. If you are coming mid June which is 4 months away, some areas may still be closed for Bear Management.

www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/bearclosures.htm

Pam

PA
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

Thanks for the info. / link on hikes. We're there the last full week of June.

PA
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

The "Treasurres" book looks good - mileage is something I'm trying to wrap my mind around - and understand it's slow-going within the park. Unfortunately, the park lodging is all booked up so we're planning to stay in Teton Village (flying intoJackson) & then up in Gardiner...

I think. Gotta book things now! THANKS!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

Keep trying thru Xanterra for in park lodging. There are always cancellations. If you book out of the park for insurance, make sure you know what the cancellation policies are so you can change to in-park lodging when something comes up.

Basically we advise you to double the miles to get approximate time traveled...15 miles = 30 minutes.

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

Teton Village is too far if you plan to see YNP from there. Keep checking the website and calling Xanterra. Things change and you can often get something with vigilance.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside AND outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

10. Re: Book suggestions for Yellowstone guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 22, 2014