We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent camping with kids late August

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tent camping with kids late August

Hi all-

My wife and I tent camped in Yellowstone for about 5 days back in 1997. We were thinking about doing this again with the kids this August. They have experience camping and we've done this in Badlands and southern Utah.

A couple questions.

Has the bear situation changed much in the past 15 years? I remember having to be careful with food in the campgrounds but not having to do anything extreme. Are there more bear encounters now or does it just generate more media buzz?

How much busier is the park now? I remember the cabins and electric sites were always filled but it used to be pretty easy to get a tent only site, even got a site in the park one day in July 1997 around 5 pm.

Thanks

Mike

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent camping with kids late August

Food handling is essentially the same. Nothing left out or in tent. Put food and coolers inside vehicle. I suspect the recent bear problems had a lot to do with the very heavy late snows last year keeping the bears and their prey at lower elevations where there are more people later.

It's busier. During the height of season July and first 1/2-2/3 August every site it taken, almost always before 3pm sometimes before noon. They still put signs at the entrances with campgrounds open/full. But you can't guarantee that it will still be that way by the time you drive there.

From mid-August as schools start the crowds start to drop off. But I would recommend having a reservation for the first night at least.

What has changes is Xantera is managing some of the campgrounds and you can make reservations. Bridge Bay, Canyon, Madison, Grant and Fishing Bridge(hard sided rv's only).

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent camping with kids late August

It is also recommended to keep designated sleeping clothes for sleeping in tents, not clothes one has cooked and eaten in.

I spent a lot of days camping in the park last summer & often had to get to first-come/first-serve campgrounds in the morning (sometimes VERY early!) to secure a site. Reservations are a real plus, especially one's first night in the park.

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent camping with kids late August

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I should reserve at least the first night and the idea of keeping night clothes separate from cooking clothes makes a lot of sense.

I saw a grizzly and cub at about 300 feet and a black bear at about 30 feet...would rather not encourage one to visit my tent site.

Mike

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent camping with kids late August

Yellowstone campground information

nps.gov/yell/…camping-in-yellowstone.htm

5. Re: Tent camping with kids late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 15, 2014