We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for July Visit.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning for July Visit.

Hi I am from India and plan to visit USA for 4 weeks in end of June to end of July. We will be 2 families of 5 adults and one kid of 2 years. We will have 3 weeks to travel to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NP. We will commence our journey from Boise, Idaho by a rental car. We also plan to return there.

Right now our tentative date of start of our tour is 1st July 2013. We do not have very expensive budget and first preference of our stay will be a rental home with a kitchen/nett.

Our likes include moderate hike but more of visiting scenic points. I will appreciate if I can receive suggestions of how much to stay at what place and where to stay? Which are the places worth visiting? ( By the way, is pure vegetarian food available at all places, or we shall carry it with us?)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for July Visit.

You have a nice amount of time to cover the area!

It is difficult to see both Grand Tetons and Yellowstone from one base, so you will need to move a couple of times. I am not expert on Grand Tetons, but in Yellowstone, I would suggest you look for lodging in West Yellowstone and Gardiner where you could get a unit with a kitchenette. There are no in-park lodgings with kitchens. You might look at the TA reviews of hotels for both West Yellowstone and Gardiner. Staying in either West Yellowstone or Gardiner will increase your drive time over staying in the park.

There is vegetarian food available in the restaurants in the park, however, we always suggest you have a cooler with food for lunches, snacks and beverages. Often you will be watching something interesting (bears/wolves/whatever!) and you won't want to leave to go find something for lunch!

With your amount of time you can also include a visit to Cody (great complex of 5 museums) and perhaps Beartooth Pass. (Just a disclaimer on this...a traveler reported he was not as impressed with Beartooth Pass compared to Kashmir, so if you've been there, this may not be a worthwhile side trip for you!)

Pam

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for July Visit.

You can check for homes for rent with www.vbro.com

There are some hotel/cabins in West Yellowstone with kitchenettes.

The restaurants in Yellowstone have vegetarian options. You are still best to have a cooler because you won't want to be tied to eating meals at restaurants. There are stores with small grocery selections at most or all of the concession locations and most have some fresh fruits and vegetables.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for July Visit.

Just to give you an idea of the food in the park, here is a link to Xanterra, which runs the in-park lodging and the restaurant facilities attached to them. Click on any of the restaurants on the right, then click on details and it will give you the menus from 2012, or in some instances the menu for winter 2013.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Dining-76.…

Roosevelt has the most meat-heavy menu.

There are also General Stores run by a different company which all have small restaurant grills. There is usually a veggie burger on offer, however, I think it is likely not vegan, but I am not going to ask.

Pam

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for July Visit.

Rental Homes:

Airbnb.com

Vrbo.com

Vacationrentals.com

But, as said, you cannot see YNP from Grand Teton National Park; it is simply too distant.

I'd split my days as follows; these are minimum days for each and can be combined as part of your tour to/from locations:

Yellowstone NP: 3 - 4 days

Cody, WY: 1 day

Beartooth Hwy: 1 day

Grand Teton NP 2 - 3 days

Glacier NP 2 - 3 days

I'd plot my route on Google Maps so that you can grasp the distances and time requirements between major points, round trip, Boise. For example, from YNP to GNP plan on a full day drive, more if you explore Lewis & Clark Caverns.

You'll be driving several hundred miles in Yellowstone, considerably lewss in the two smaller parks.

Rental car: I suggest a minivan or at least a SUV, to maximize the ability to view the scenery and wildlife, and have room for luggage (and a cooler, a "must" for this trip).

Clothing: keep it minimal, you'll not be dressing up anywhere on this trip.

Here are some articles (and websites) that will hellp you plan your trip.

Glacier National Park: A key feature is Going to the Sun Road, which you might wish to drive at least twice. Try to leave your lodging as early as possible as parking at Logan Pass is limited. Or, take the "Red Bus" and let them do the driving.

You need to make reservations as soon as possible. Use the official websites provided if you decide to lodge inside the parks, as they do not charge a fee.

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Lodging at Glacier? I like the Many Glacier area, Swiftcurrent Motor Inn is relatively economical and well located. glacierparkinc.com/swift_current_motor_inn.p…

You have time to see more so I highly recommend driving the Beartooth Hwy. and a night/full day, in Cody to see, if you wish, the rodeo, but the "must see" is this:

Buffalo Bill Historical Center A fascinating and world class complex (with cafeteria); plan on at least three hours. For all ages. http://www.bbhc.org/home/

This too: National Museum of Wildlife Art – Another remarkable museum. Just north of Jackson. http://www.wildlifeart.org/

Grand Teton National Park Lodging www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Consider seeing also Lewis & Clark Caverns on your way to Glacier NP: stateparks.mt.gov/lewis-and-clark-caverns/

Edited: 11:29 am, February 12, 2013
5. Re: Planning for July Visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2014