We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

NW Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

My husband and I would like to take our son to see Yellowstone, Glacier and Grand Teton Parks next summer. He's ok in the car for a day or so but then complains. If we flew out from the East and rented a car that would cut off some driving time. I know how big YNP is as we've been there twice before without children. For those of you that have travelled with 15 year olds, please help us. I know there's fun stuff like the horseback ride/cowboy dinner, lots of widlife viewing, etc. He says he's not much of a hiker. I'd really like him to see Glacier before all the glaciers melt too so this trip would combine that park to. I'm thinking of about 14-16 days. Advise please?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

It is also handy for a kid to have his own binoculars & know how to use them!

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

When we went in 08, my son was 15. He didn't really want to go on the trip, while my wife, daughter (13) and I were excited. To give him something to look forward to, I promised we would tour Coors Field and visit the Broncos team shop at Mile High Stadium in Denver before we flew home. (He is a huge sports fan).

He really enjoyed the Cody Rodeo. When we entered the park, he enjoyed getting to be able to throw snow balls in June. As we made our first pass through Hayden Valley, we came upon a bear jam. My wife, daughter and I got out to see the bears, but he just had to finish a video game. By the time he joined us, the momma Grizzly and 2 cubs had gone over a ridge. That is when we found out that he really did care about seeing wildlife. He was very worried he wouldn't get to see a Grizzly.

Luckily for him, we saw a large one and several wolves the next day in Lamar Valley. He had a much better time and better attitude the rest of the trip.

We had the chance to go 4 wheeling in Colorado and rafting in Jackson Hole. He enjoyed both of those activities.

Edited: 1:25 pm, February 09, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

We went when our younger son was 15 and we gave him the video camera and said "OK, Spielberg, go for it!". He really enjoyed being our videographer and although we have some rather, ahem, unusual footage and 'sound effects' he really had a ball. And we were surprised at how 'into' the thermal features and wildlife he was.

As a result of one of his his 'artistic endeavors' during the trip, all our family vacations since then have had some sort of footage of a pair of one of our feet, either in or out of shoes, with someone saying 'pretty feet, pretty feet'. Silly, yes, and makes us laugh. But this is how great traditions are born.

NW Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am drawing up a list of possibilities of non-animal watching activities. After discussing some of these with my son he commented it is starting to sound interesting. I'm going to have him explore the Wyoming and Montana state tourist websites and have him add some possibilities. I know there's a large Indian powwow the 4th weekend in June but I don't think that would work our for us time wise. We know we can't do Going to the Sun Road until after the 3rd week and we cannot be gone over the 4th of July. I think we might have to go late July-early August.

I keep plugging away!

16. Re: Advise for taking 15 yr old boy to YNP, GTNP, GNP summer 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 12, 2014