We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging (help) Question

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging (help) Question

We have six nights to book. Would love some advice on my 4th and 5th night lodging. DH and I will be flying into Jackson June 1st landing 1ish.

Our first night is booked for OF Lodge (no room at the Inn) and sold out for the 2nd.

2nd and 3rd night is booked in Gardiner at the Yellowstone Basin Inn. (As much as we would love to be unplugged for a week, it's just not an option.)

4th night is booked at Canyon Lodge.

I'm not sure if I should switch Canyon Lodge to Lake Hotel or just book the 5th night at Lake Hotel. I was orginally thinking our 5th night should be in GTNP, but want to make sure I have time for the West Thumb Basin.

I do want to do the GTNP 42 mile scenic loop also.

Our 6th night will be in Jackson for an early morning flight out the next day.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging (help) Question

I would book my 4th and 5th nights at the same property but thats just me. I was thinking on your 6th day, early morning you could check out west thumb ....which by the way is my fav time to go there!!! Then you could head down to GTNP and do the loop before you head to your lodging for night 6. Just my 2 cents, but there are others that will surely give you wonderful advice!!

Whatever you do make sure you are always up early looking for wildlife!! Especially in the Lamar Valley area!!! Not something you want to miss for sure! Enjoy Planning!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging (help) Question

Thanks Sue. So much information is out on the web it's easy to get confused. I'm sure this has been posted before, but I will put it here in case it helps anyone else...I found a map with actual drive times (I think) so 16 miles to me shouldn't take very long between Canyon and Lake, but according to the map it will be a 45 minute trip. Longer with stops (and I will be stopping!) So I'm keeping the reservation at Canyon and adding Grant. (although out of the way...it's only for convenience for early morning at West Thumb and heading out to GTNP!) Yea me! Thanks again.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/images/yel…

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging (help) Question

I haven't seen this map before. It looks like they've tripled the mileage for the drive times. There are times when it could take that long, but usually just doubling the mileage will give you pretty close estimates - without stops and animal jams, of course :-).

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging (help) Question

Heypaula, good to know this is "worst case" scenerio map. Since I got it off of Xanterra's web site I can only assume the point-of-reference is from one hotel/lodge area to the other. I'm bad at reading maps...I'm a GPS girl.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging (help) Question

Two nights at Canyon vs Two nights at Lake vs One night at Canyon and One night at Lake. Not a bad choice in the lot.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging (help) Question

Skip Grant. Not much there. Stay 2 nights at Canyon.

7. Re: Lodging (help) Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 30, 2014