We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Yellowstone

Macomb, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Yellowstone

My fiance and I are getting married in mid to late August, and want to go to Yellowstone for our honeymoon in early September. We're definitely wanting to go horseback riding, and was thinking of spending some time at the Absaroka Mountain Lodge, as I stayed there years ago with my parents on a summer vacation and enjoyed it. Looking for options as to lodging, attractions, travel, etc. Spending about a week. Would like to fly in and rent a car, instead of drive the whole way out from northern Illinois. Help? Thanks in advance!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

Congratulations! Have you looked at the list of Top Questions, right hand side of page? Some of your answers are there (e.g., fly in to where?).

Attractions? Unsure what you mean, YNP (and Grand Teton NP) are the attractions. Just cruising the YNP figure 8 road system takes you to most of the major sights.

With re: lodging both inside and outside the park:

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin…

Xanterra also can arrange horseback riding of various lengths.

Check their website carefully as, like the Park's official website, it is full of information (and answers)...

Yellowstone National Park Website: http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

The park website contains a massive amount of useful information. See “Things to Do”, it opens a menu of options. If what you want is not easily found, use the search box.

See “View Map” on home page for interactive map. http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

The trail rides from the Absaroka Mountain Lodge should be pretty spectacular. But you might want to verify that they keep their horses as late in September as you're arriving and won't already have converted over to using them for hunting camps.

I've not actually ridden out of that lodge, but have ridden in the countryside along the South Fork there, south into the Washakie WA and north into the N. Absaroka WA, and it's prettier than most of what you're likely to see on a trail ride inside Yellowstone. Kerry & Theresa, if they're still running things there, do a great job. Great place for a rustic style honeymoon.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

In the post above, I should have said NORTH Fork, not South Fork.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
652 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

You might consider spending several days in the Tetons where you can relax and see gorgeous scenery from your front porch. You can hike and see wildlife but the park is so much smaller that you will not be spending all day in the car. There is horseback riding and either scenic floating down the Snake in the park or more adventuresome rafting just south of the park

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

Congratulations, Jared! My own parents spent their honeymoon at Yellowstone back in 1947. Mom still says it was the most romantic trip they had. She especially remembers the cold nights, snuggling up in the bed with the woodstove burning in their little cabin. Beyond sharing that little tidbit, she just sighs and smiles. LOL.

6. Re: Honeymoon in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 26, 2014