We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good central location to stay

Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Good central location to stay

I see many people only stay a few days in one area and then move to different lodging to have better access to all areas of the park. Is it at all feasable to stay in one central location for the entire trip and just drive a little more each day to avoid the hassle of having to stay overnight in so many different places?

It appears Canyon and Lake are pretty much central. We are still in our planning stages and were just exploring all options to simplify our trip.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good central location to stay

Canyon and Lake are both good locations but if I had to pick one it would be Canyon. I enjoyed the wildlife and it's a bit closer to Lamar Valley and just minutes away from the northern part of Hayden Valley where we saw the most action last year. It really depends on your main interests.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Good central location to stay

To access the entire park from one location Canyon would be the better of the two.

However, if wildlife viewing at sunrise (or a little after) in Lamar Valley is your desire Roosevelt would be better.

You could stay at Lake and still access Hayden Valley at sunrise like you can at Canyon. Staying at Lake would make a longer drive to get over Old Faithful via Canyon and Norris but you can go south to West Thumb and then over to OF which is shorter. You don't have to be at OF at sunrise to experience it so the drive from Lake (or Canyon) is not a deterent.

We always tent camp on our visits to the park and with the exception of this last summer, we've always stayed at Bridge Bay because #1: I don't like taking down and setting up different camps and #2: with the exception of Canyon (which I don't care for) is the most centrally located campground on the east side. This last summer we did split our week up between Tower Campground and Bridge Bay because we wanted to be at Lamar just after sunrise. I've been going to Yellowstone multiple times each year for 30 years so am used to long drives to get from one place to another. Accessing Lamar from Tower/Roosevelt right after sunrise what easy- I would not want to access that early from Canyon.

When are you planning on going? If it is this summer you need to make reservations asap. Most is probably already taken though there will be cancellations as it gets closer to summer. You might have to take whatever you can get.

Deb

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good central location to stay

Both areas are pretty central for use as a base location. Personally, I prefer Lake - we've always stayed there and never had a problem getting to the other sights in the park. I like that it's less crowded than Canyon - and I love relaxing in a rocker on the Lodge porch with a glass of wine to either read or just people-watch. Great view of the Lake too - used to see moose in the meadow there, though it's been awhile since they've shown up. The bison and deer are always around though.

4. Re: Good central location to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 15, 2014