We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

We're going to be taking our first trip to Yellowstone in August of 2013. We are a family of 4 - my wife and I are healthy and in our 30s - our kids will be 6 and 9. We will have 6 full days to spend seeing everything we can. I have reservations at Fishing Bridge where we hope to spend very little time and will be using it simply as a place to sleep, shower, and likely eat breakfast/dinner.

We are into hiking but like to keep them to 5 miles or less round trip. My kids are tough as nails and can handle most. We would much rather see something up close than to look at it form the designated area with the masses. We are the type to see something last second and decide to check it out instead of pressing on with a strict schedule.

I have dipped into the Yellowstone Treasures book and read through tons of posts here and elsewhere online.. but I'm over-whelmed. This is proving to be our hardest trip to plan.

I know we want to hit the top 10 commonly referenced here. We'd also like to make sure we hit a rodeo. Besides that.. who knows. Without figuring things down to the minute, how would you plan out our 6 days? What direction would you head in each day?

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

First off the park is sectioned off with roads like a figure 8 there is the upper loop of the figure 8 and the bottom you are staying in the bottom loop on the lower left of the circle looking at the figure 8 from the north down. Go north on the lower loop and go to Paint pots Old faithful and the smoking care. The lower loop are all Geo Thermal you can do it in a day if you rush 2 days is reccomended. do the upper loop the 3rd day. that can be done in a day and see most sites. If you like to hike there are great trails and more time will be needed. I strongly recommend that you take a day and go to the Grand Tetons and jackson Great fun the kids will love it. hike into Jenny Lake or one of the other lakes there are great views and really beautiful views. Jackson is a fun cowboy town and they have a shoot out in the street everyday but Sunday. Go to the cowboy bar for lunch or dinner the kids will love it. I went for 2 weeks last Aug and spent more time in Jackson, to many people in Yellow stone and bus tours. Ride the Tram In Jackson hole its really a nice ride and well worth it the kids can walk down. Lots to see. Enjoy spend a few more days and explore the interiors of the both parks Grand Teton National park and Yellowstone.Im a photographer so I get into the wild alot. Have a safe trip and enjoy

Lenny

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

Got the book and as I look through your itinerary and follow along in there, it's all starting to make sense and come together(:

The Wraith Falls hike sounds great but getting the family out the door by 6:30am sounds a bit rough... saying it's going to happen now is a lot easier than actually doing it(; That may end up being a hike sans ranger.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

I hear you on the rolling kids out of bed early! I've never made it because I usually stay in West Yellowstone and even tho I am in the park by 6 on most days, it is hard to get up there by 830!

You should also check closer to your departure on the actual hike times. Maybe they will change up some of the times. There is also an interesting one on the North rim of Canyon, called maybe the Lupine Walk or something (on my phone so cant check) which might be more doable.

Pam

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

Thanks for the help, Lenny!

Looking at Jackson vs Cody, is one of the rodeos better than the other?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

IMO the rodeo in Cody is better!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

mr_d,

I highly recommend the Storm Point ranger-led hike which is right by your RV park. Last summer it was daily at 10 am:

nps.gov/yell/…fishing-lake.pdf

It's the most delightful, easy hike, especially for children, as it goes by a marmot colony in the rocks, thru forest, out to a beach on the lake.

From NPS:

Storm Point Trail

This trail begins in the open meadows overlooking Indian Pond and Yellowstone Lake. The trail passes by the pond before turning right (west) into the forest. It continues through the trees and out to scenic, windswept Storm Point. The rocky area near the point is home to a large colony of yellow-bellied marmots. Following the shoreline to the west, the trail eventually loops through the lodgepole pine forest and returns to Indian Pond.

Trailhead: Pullout at Indian Pond, 3 miles (5 km) east of Fishing Bridge Visitor Center

Distance: 2 mile (3 km) loop

Level of Difficulty: Easy

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/lakehike.htm

Have fun planning!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

That's the way I was leaning after reading through some online info, PeachBelle .. ty!

Denalicat - that sounds like a great hike - I added it as a "must do" now - ty!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

Just making sure the thread doesn't get locked.. I'm still going through plans and the itinerary and plan on asking more... no new questions yet though because most are answered using the search feature.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

I think it is 6 months or so before it is locked, so you are OK.

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Staying at Fishing Bridge - Help me Divide the Park

my 2 cents- if you for sure want to hit the rodeo, skip the day 11 (visit to Cody,) leaving the park day earlier (12) (GASP, but you said you for sure want the rodeo, right?) do the museum and rodeo in Cody, spending the night there, then wave good bye and head to SD.