We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

Texas
Level Contributor
314 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

Currently have 6:30 dinner reservations at Lake Hotel dining room on the one nite of our stay at that location (5 more nites at other locations). Sunrise at 6:35, sunset 8:15 that day. I'm wondering if our dinner reservations will interfere with prime wildlife viewing in the area?

With sunset at 8:15, and not wanting to be driving after dark, where would be the best location for evening wildlife viewing and when should we head back to our hotel? I'm thinking I need to delay our dinner time, but how much? This will be August if that matters.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

My opinion is that there is no real way of knowing since wildlife viewing is very dependent on the animals, which is not really that predictable.

One thing I read about this past summer, is that once the summer heats up, many of the animals head for higher (cooler) ground so in August, it may matter even less around dusk/nightfall.

Enjoy your dinner :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,988 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

Agree with TimeshareVon, but also suggest if you are worried, make your dinner res. earlier, then you can eat and get back out. From Hayden Valley to Lake, if sunset is 815, you will have a little bit of time before full dark, but if you are at the N. end of Hayden Valley I would turn back by 8PM.

Pam

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

As intimated above, be patient. Go to the viewing areas in Hayden Valley, especially those where you see folks with spotting scopes and heavy duty cameras. Many eyes available means more probability of wildlife sightings.

Wildlife Viewing and Photography, prepared by several TAs: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

If driving at dusk or dark, latter not advised, be very alert as Bison often stroll the roads there and, as large as they are, they can be hard to see. They'll eventually move out of the way.

Edited: 9:54 am, January 04, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

You might also want to look into the Sunset Tour running out of the Lake Hotel which takes you to Lake Butte.

5. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:10 pm, July 09, 2016
Texas
Level Contributor
314 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

Ystoner yes I like your plan. Will probably change to 8:30 with snacks on the go. Although the animals may not be as plentiful in late August, we still don't want to miss a good chance to see what we can see in Hayden late in the day.

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

We were there in late August and early Sept 2011. We were lucky enough to see wolves and bears in the Lamar valley many days at sunrise and late evening, This happened because of a bison carcass. The same thing can happen in Hayden valley. You just never know what you may find so being able to hang around and wait has rewards. Carcass stalking can become addictive. You know you are in Yellowstone when you tell new friends from around the world that you will see them at the carcass tomorrow.

8. Re: Dinner Reservatiom vs Wildlife gawking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, January 06, 2014