We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in early June

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in early June

Hi everyone. I am getting ready to book my airfare for next summer and wanted to check with the people on this forum before I do. I am planning on flying into Denver on the first of June and after a few days in Rocky Mountain National Park, driving to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I am a little concerned about the weather and am worried that some of the roads in the higher elevations might still be closed. On the other hand, I am trying to go earlier rather than later in an effort to avoid some of the worst crowds of mid- summer. Basically, I am trying to avoid high- season crowds without getting the worst of low- season weather. I know it is impossible to predict exactly what the weather will be like next summer but I am just trying to get the most information I can to make the best decision. Any advice on what I might expect weather- wise, and crowd- wise at this time of year would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Well, I've hiked the first week of June in short sleeves and I've sat at geysers the first week and been snowed on. It's impossible to tell what it will be like. You should be prepared for chilly weather and enjoy it if it's nice.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Pam has summed it up for you. We were there at the first of June in 2007 and had warm and sunny weather but came back at the same time in 2008 and had snow, ice, and freezing temps. Had a great time both years. For better weather, etc. and still less crowds I would opt for mid-June if you can fit that in your schedule. The park is more crowded during July and August.

June is great for all the wildlife babies. Good luck!!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in early June

I agree w/the above posters and living in the area - we can visit YNP one weekend and have snow, and the next 50 degrees. Its impossible to predict. We are at the mercy of the pacific coast and what it has in store. However, with that said, the accuracy of the radar has been pretty good so I do have a couple of days to prepare. I know that doesn't help you when your flights are purchased, but it is something to be considered. Higher elevations such as YNP and RM are going to be subject to more snow activity than rain when rain is called for.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Thanks to everyone for the responses. As a follow up, would pushing it back by 7-10 days give me a much better shot at having all roads open and passable. We don't mind chilly weather just hoping to avoid snow conditions which would mean road closures or dangerous driving.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Yes I think so but hopefully some of the locals will post with their opinions and experiences.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Thanks peachebelle, I'm sure you all will get sick of me over the next months as I soak up everyone's experience.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Yeah, the weather can be crazy in early June. We arrived on June 8th this year to a nice 75° sunny day in Jackson Hole. Two days later as we entered YNP for the first time this is what greeted us:

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157630393391450

But the weather improved quickly and it was pretty nice the rest of the trip.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone in early June

DH6040, later in June will improve your chances on better weather. Being from Pittsburg, you will have a better handle on road conditions if there is bad weather than some! If you click on the next button on GeorgiaAstroNut's photo of the snow, the next shot shows the roadway which is clear. I would assume that there would be a possibility of some slushy areas on roadways just from looking at the heaviness of the snow and the wet road, and being in snow country you might be able to draw that same conclusion.

BTW, when you have time, be sure and look at GeorgiaAstroNuts pictures from the whole trip. They are just awesome! He has inspired me to actually stay at Mammoth next time I go to the park so I can catch Canary Spring at dawn. This is one of my very favorite shots...EVER...in the park!!

flickr.com/photos/…

(Sorry to gush Tim, but it really is!)

Pam

(PS We will NOT get tired of you. Our hope is that you get as crazy about Yellowstone as we are! It is a sickness.)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone in early June

Thanks Pam!!

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone in early June

My pictures do not compare to the ones that Pam shared but it at least will give you an idea of snow amounts in Rocky Mt. The road hadn't been open very long and it was extremely windy and cold at the top. The store wasn't open either as they had JUST dug it out. However, I think the mountains look beautiful with that much snow on them!

I worked at Canyon in 08 and we had snow through the middle of July but as previous posters mentioned, 07 was very different.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Edited: 1:32 pm, December 07, 2012