We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

Boston...
Level Contributor
345 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

I'm in the very early planning stages of a possible trip to Yellowstone (would be either January 2014 or 2015) and plan to stay at OF. I did have a question for anyone who has taken the snowcoach into the park for a stay at OF or Mammoth for that matter.

It states that hard sided luggage is suggested. Did you use hard sided luggage or just use soft sided luggage (which seems to be what most people commonly have)?

Of course I can call Xanterra and inquire further with them and I may do that too, but I'm just curious what other people did. I sort of assumed they suggested hard sided so that snow/moisture is less likely to get inside (since it appears luggage rides on top of the coach).

I'd prefer to use the luggage I have (all of which is soft sided) but would consider getting yet another bag if absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

The primary reasons for the hard sided luggage are exactly as you said (keep moisture and dirt out). That said, a pretty large number (I'd almost venture so far as to say a majority) of people bring soft sided luggage, duffel bags etc, without issue, so there really is no necessity to purchase new luggage unless you need it for other reasons as well.

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

I just realized I left out an important note, I'm sorry! The suggestion did initially come from the fact that luggage used to ride on top of the coaches, but this is now only true for the Flagg Ranch (South Entrance) to Old Faithful and back routes. If you come into Old Faithful from either West Yellowstone or Mammoth, luggage will either be in the back of your coach or in a separate, enclosed luggage coach. If you are coming from the south, the luggage will still be on top and covered by thick plastic tarps.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

My grandson and I took a snowcoach from Mammoth to Old Faithful this last February. We used northface duffel bags which are soft-sided but made out of a heavier water-resistant material. I used large garbage bags inside to further protect items.

We were able to have 2 sets of luggage per person. All of our luggage was one a separate enclosed snowcoach to and from Old Faithful. We had our day backpacks with us on the snowcoach. We saw that some people had a cooler as one of their luggage allotments. We we definitely do that on our next trip as it allows you to take in more food items such as cheese/crackers and meats. We saw lots of families sitting around the fireplace eating stuff that they had brought in with them.

Deb

Boston...
Level Contributor
345 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

Thanks-- that is good to know about how the luggage now travels.

5. Re: Snowcoach for Old Faithful Stay--luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 16, 2013