We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything I missed?

Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Anything I missed?

Our trip is end of august first week of September 2013. First night in the park we are coming in on the Beartooth Highway and then staying 2 nights at Roosevelt , 2 nights at Canyon and then 2 nights at Old Faithful. We will be doing most of the turnouts on Beartooth and are not really planning on doing much the first night in. I am very nervous about altitude sickness on Beartooth , last time I was above 10,000 feet I was very ill, but don't want to miss it. On the way home we will stop at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody and then drive to Custer and spend a day at Custer and and the Badlands before driving home. Is there anything you think I should add or could add that we shouldn't miss? Thanks for any help!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything I missed?

If you are driving in, by the time you get to Billings you will be over 3000 ft and will have begun acclimating to altitude. Red Lodge is about 5500. That will help too as you climb. Make sure you have plenty of non-alcoholic beverage in you before you get to Red Lodge and keep drinking regularly as that may help some too.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything I missed?

Agree with RM-MN and will add not to drink alcohol the first bit in Yellowstone either. Your plan looks good to me altho Canyon is a smidgey closer to the East gate than Old Faithful. If you are doing them in the order you have listed, I might consider flipping your Old Faithful and Canyon days but it is certainly not essential.

Pam

Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything I missed?

We are driving in, the first night in Rapid City and then up to Billings on the second day. I don't drink so the no alcohol won't be a problem and I will definitely take the advice to drink lots of water. We are doing the sites in the order listed. Because we are doing some 1/2 day horse rides in the first 4 days and they start in the Northeast part of the park I thought it would be easier to stay that order. I hadn't even planned to stay in Old Faithful at first but so many suggestions here made me change to the 2 nights there. Thanks for replies! I appreciate any advice.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything I missed?

Then I would leave it as is, because it would just cut down on driving by a little bit and getting in the riding is more difficult to arrange.

You may be surprised at the thermal areas...you may really enjoy them!

Pam

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything I missed?

If you can, do your second overnight in Red Lodge instead of Billings so you get the advantage of longer time at that much higher altitude.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything I missed?

Dry crackers such as Saltines, Ritz, Pilot, etc., and water should help.

The scenery itself should take your mind of your stomach. :)

Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything I missed?

Pam I know I love the thermal areas, not so much my husbands thing! We were just planning on driving around to them after exploring the other areas of the park. But the great suggestions on here led me to believe it would be better to stay closer instead of drive so much.

RM-NM wish we could but we are driving from Rapid City up to Billings and then into the park on Bearthooth Highway the same day. If I could add an extra day I would! But then I would have to take away from the park.

Thanks Voyaging I will add crackers to the list for the altitude sickness. I feel like I have most eveything done and wish the wait wasn't so long!

Kristene

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything I missed?

Kristene, the great thing about staying at OF is that your husband can sit on the second floor deck at the OF Inn and sip coffee or a drink and read and you can explore the geyser basin. If you are out early (daybreak) by yourself you will probably want to pack bear spray with you.

Pam

Tigerton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything I missed?

Pam, Wow what a great idea! If he is bored we are right there and he can read or nap or whatever. I never thought of that because my sense of direction is so bad he needs to lead the hikes. But on boardwalk with a map I should be good to go! What an awesome idea! (And I will bring bear spray.)

Kristene

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything I missed?

The boardwalks at OF are very well signed. With the exception of Norris, the other geyser basins are MUCH smaller...as in you can usually see the parking lot from most parts of the geyser basins. Norris is bigger, but it is set up in a couple of loops, so very easy to navigate.

At Old Faithful, if you can work it in time-wise, do some of the Ranger-led walks. They are very interesting and you can't go wrong. Here is the link to the programs from this summer and they are usually similar from year to year. If you click in to the Old Faithful area link, you will see several you can do by yourself if he is not so enthralled.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerprog.htm

Be sure to pack a sunhat, sunscreen and sunglasses as there is a lot of glare in the geyser basins. The sinter (material left by the geysers) is very white and bright.

The 2nd floor deck of the OFI is also a great place to eat ice cream (from ice cream parlor on the 1st floor) and kick back while still watching the geysers!

Pam