We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help!!!!

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help!!!!

Ok, doing a trip to Chicago and Las Vegas.....was thinking of doing a stop on the way to Las Vegas at Jackson Hole to see Yellowstone etc......could we do it a day or two?

Manly see the grand teton/yellowstone views and main all the main attractions, no hiking etc.

we would hire a car

We have done Grand Canyon and Yosemite in pretty much one day (mainly just driving around to all the main areas.......can we do this with Yellowstone/mt teton?

also, how is it this time of the year? we would go around Oct 18 or so

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help!!!!

The roads will still be open but many of the facilities will be closed. Here is a link to a list of closures.

nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

If wintery weather hits the roads can close at any time. I see you are from Texas, do you have any experience driving in winter?

Here also is a map of Yellowstone. Normally you would double the miles to get the amount of time it would take to travel that stretch of road.

nps.gov/common/…

We usually recommend 3 days to see Yellowstone as it is pretty spread out. You would have to pick and choose what you see if you just do a drive by.

Pam

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help!!!!

I would not recommend using Jackson as a base from which to visit YNP. If you look at the park map that Pam provided above, you will see that doing so will add a lot of driving time to your trip.

Coming from Chicago, I would suggest spending your first night in Gardiner, which is about 55 miles south of I-90, at the northern edge of YNP. Then get up early the next day to tour as much of YNP as you can get to, working your way south. You won't be able to see everything, just concentrate on what interests you the most. After that, drive through GTNP to Jackson for your next night. From there you can then head south the following day to continue on to Vegas.

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: help!!!!

thanks guys!!!!! i think we would be cheating ourselves not spending enough time in Yellowstone!! would be better to make it to yellowstone when we have more time!!

thanks for the helpful advice

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,029 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help!!!!

I think that is a great idea. There are several national parks in UT north of Las Vegas that you could visit at this time of the year and be fine- Zion and Bryce.

Could also come thru CO and go to Arches NP and then head south to Monument Valley then to Bryce and Zion and on to Las Vegas.

If you are driving you can do Arches in a day and Monument Valley in a day and then head toward Las Vegas.

Just some other ideas.

5. Re: help!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, December 15, 2013