We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundromat - after labor day

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Laundromat - after labor day

Does anyone know of coin laundry services outside of YS in the Cooke City - Silver Gate area? We will be camping in Lamar Valley area in September, pretty far from the Lake where the closest in-park laundry is located (Canyon will be closed by the time we arrive). If we have to go to the lake, we will, but it'll be a hike, since the loop road from Tower to Canyon will be closed soon after we arrive due to construction. The other option may be Gardiner or even West Yellowstone.

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,364 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

If no one answers, do you do Facebook? If so go to the Stop The Car Trading Post page and try messaging them. They are in Silver Gate and will probably know the answer to your question.

https:/…140803969285556

Here also is a link to the Cooke City Area Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.cookecitychamber.org/index.html

Pam

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Thank you. I just messaged the Stop the Car folks on FB, so hopefully they will be able to steer me in the right direction. I had already been on the Cooke City - Silver Gate page and unless I'm missing something, I didn't see any signs of laudromats on their site (Red Lodge does have one, but I really don't want to have to trek up and down the Beartooth Hwy to do our laundry!! Worse case scenario is that we will always have Fishing Bridge, or even Cody or West Yellowstone. Just hoping to find something a little closer. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Yeah, I didn't see anything on the Cooke City page either, but was hoping I overlooked it in a quick scan.

Does look like there are a couple in Gardiner which would be the next closest location but I know nothing about them personally.

…gardinerchamber.com/list/…laundromats-108

...laughing at the thought of crossing Beartooth ~just~ to do laundry!

Pam

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

We stay in Cooke City every spring, and I am not aware of any public laundry facilities in either Cooke or Silver Gate. However, both the Super 8 and the Alpine Inn have laundry rooms with washers/dryers available for their guests. You might try calling, emailing, or asking at the front desk if it would be possible to use one of them.

Worth a try, and better than running all the way down to Lake, or over to Gardiner to waste a half a day doing laundry!

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Thank you! That is a great idea! Doesn't hurt to ask, before we make a whole day trek to do laundry!!

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Yikes, I was planning on doing laundry at Canyon as I didn't realize they were at the campground and the campground will be closed. Does that mean there is no access to the laundry area?

You say the loop road will be closed when you are there. When is that supposed to be closed? I thought it was after our visit, but now I'm questioning that too. We are there from the 15th to the 21st.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

The piece of the loop road from Tower to Chittenden closes on 9/22 so you should be OK!

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Pam

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

I think you'll be ok with the road, it is under construction so you may run into long delays through there but it's technically open till Sept 22nd. This is from their website: The Canyon Village to Tower Junction road (the Chittenden Road to Tower Junction gate segment only) will be closed to public traffic 24 hours a day starting Sept. 22, 2012, to May 23, 2013.

As far as doing laundry, I believe once the campground closes, the laundry and shower facilities close too. We camped at Canyon several years ago, and loved it. Unfortunately we come in September (our favorite time in YS) so Canyon's not an option for us. Good luck with your trip. We'll be there from September 10th till sometime in early October, whenever the mood strikes us to leave :)

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Just in case anyone is interested in this topic, I wanted to follow-up with what we found when we were in Yellowstone last month. We camped in Slough Creek off of the Northeast Entrance Road. As expected, we found no laundry or shower facilities in Silver Gate or Cooke City. However, in Gardiner, MT, we found a facility that offers both laundry and showers. It is neat, clean and worked out well for us. It is North Entrance Washtub Laundromat, 209 Main Street, tel (406) 848-9870. They also have wifi available for customers which was nice while we were waiting for our clothes to dry. It was much more convenient than trying to get ourselves way down by the lake, especially since the road closed from Tower Junction to Canyon Village on Sept 22nd.

Mentioned in this post
Slough Creek
Slough Creek
41 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laundromat - after labor day

Thanks so much for posting follow up information! I'm so glad you found facilities that worked out for you.

Did you have a good time in the park? We would love for you to start a new thread with a trip report!

Pam