We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone

Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone

Wondering about suggested sites to see....will be staying 2 nights in 'Western Cabins', Canyon. Arriving from West Yellowstone, (we will visit Midway Geyser Basin,etc, the day before) on August 10th, leaving in the morning, the 12th for GTNP.

Traveling with my family..my husband, 2 sons and my daughter, ages 16-21. Thank you for any suggestions of sites not to miss! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone

Here are the must sees for Yellowstone- to help you plan your trip-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

There are also sample daily trip plans in Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple. The book has info for lodging, restaurants, wildlife, etc.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone

I really don't think it's necessary to buy a book to plan for 2 nights in the park. Here is the YNP website with tons on helpful information, including a map of the park: www.nps.gov/ynp

Edited: 10:05 pm, May 27, 2012
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone

oops - make that www.nps.gov/yell

4. Re: Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:02 pm, May 27, 2012
Edited: 11:02 pm, May 27, 2012
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone

I had thought you planned a longer visit to Yellowstone?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone

Since you are staying at Canyon, visit the prime canyon lookouts early morning and evening to avoid the most crowds. Brink of the falls and the stairs would be my must see spots and be doable if everyone is physically able.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone

Thank you for all your good advice!

Ed, we are staying 2 nights in West Yellowstone, 2 nights in Canyon, 2 nights in GTNP, and last night near airport in Salt Lake City. I thought we'd loop around our first full day to see the geysers near Old Faithful. I don't have any definite plans for the Canyon areas. Maybe I will look at the 'top ten'...this should help me make some decisions! I'm thinking that I should try to plan each day BEFORE I go....right?

I am going on a cruise to Europe in July with my mom, so I'm concentrating on 2 trips...yes, I am lucky this summer!

I think I will buy the book, as I'll actually have 4 days in the park!

Thank you! :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone

I like to have a general idea of direction for each day. I would probably do this:

Arrive in West Yellowstone. If you are there early enough, get your entrance ticket at the West Yellowstone VC, or if you have time, go on in to the park to Madison looking for wildlife along the way. You might see trumpeter swan on the Madison, bald eagle, elk and/or bison.

Day 1: Geyser day: Upper geyser basin first, then work your way back thru Midway and Lower geyser basins to West Yellowstone for the night.

Day 2: Upper loop. Go in to Norris jct, then up to Mammoth, around to Lamar, Tower, Dunraven and Down to Canyon for the night.

Day 3: Canyon, Hayden Valley, Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge. Maybe out the East entrance road a bit if there have been some wildlife spottings out there. Ask at the Canyon for Fishing Bridge Visitor Centers.

Day 4: Pick up Norris if you missed it the other day, Artist Paint Pots if you missed it, or go back and get second looks at other things. Do West Thumb and head out the south gate toward Tetons.

OK, that is more specific than general, but that's me!!

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone

yep, plan an outline and be prepared to throw it all out the window if need be due to weather, critters or a spectacle that just won't let you go on! Well, don't throw it out the window, that is a no-no, but fold it up nicely and place it out of sight, lol. If you get the book, you will want to do it all. And if you have several years of trips, you can get to a lot of it :) But for one visit, plan, enjoy the planning and be prepared to forget the plan once on Yellowstone time! With that much time, you will have a great trip, no matter what! Did you schedule in eating ice cream on the second floor deck of the Old Faithful Inn?

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone

<< I'm thinking that I should try to plan each day BEFORE I go....right? >>

Yes and no.

It does little or no harm to pre-plan each day. But as I just wrote in another thread, I believe the BEST days in YNP simply come to you. Your openness and receptivity to the park and all it has to offer is the key. Each day is different. I have always thought that you could stand within earshot of the front desk at any VC, listen to the rangers answer questions about where to hike that day, and get some really cool suggestions before five minutes have even passed. The old, "Hmm, THERE'S one I haven't tried" gambit.

Edited: 1:08 pm, May 29, 2012