We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

We (me, hubby, and two kids ages 14 and 15) are just in the beginning stages of planning a two week trip in late June 2013 that will include Mt. Rushmore area, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton. I feel SO overwhelmed when I start thinking of the Yellowstone part of this trip. I am afraid of missing something great. The two things I know we want to do in the park are the Roosevelt Cookout and seeing Old Faithful. I know there is SO much more to see. We want to stay in the park. Any advice or websites you can point me too that would help to plan the Yellowstone part of this trip would be great! As of right now I have no idea where to stay and what to see. Here is our plans so far...please feel free to change it as you see fit. We will be driving from Alabama and can add one more day if needed.

Day one – travel from home

Day two – travel from home

Day three – Mt. Rushmore area

Day four – Mt. Rushmore area

Day five – travel to Cody and catch the shootout and rodeo

Day six – Leave Cody early AM and head to Yellowstone

Day seven – Yellowstone

Day eight – Yellowstone

Day nine - Yellowstone

Day ten – Leave YNP early AM and head to Grand Teton

Day eleven – Grand Teton and Jackson

Day twelve – travel to home

Day thirteen – travel to home

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

Just to say 2 days from Birmingham to Rapid City already is a long drive (1500 miles) not to speak of Jackson to Birmingham (1800 miles)

Even if it's not historic it's still great fun at the Nite Rodeo.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

Are you sold on driving to Black Hills and Yellowstone? It is a long, long drive and we did it many years ago before our kids were born. Our teenagers didn't mind the long drives in the park because of all the scenery and wildlife. You need to check into flying from Birmingham to Salt Lake City. We've done that on Southwest and if I watch the fares then have gotten some great rates. Car rental is usually very affordable out of SLC also and the 4-5 hour drive to the park is not bad at all.

Just something to think about this far in advance!!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

If the budget would allow, flying could certainly be a consideration. Without the driving days, I think you could squeeze in all areas.

Now if we only had a crystal ball to see the airfares about a year or so from now....lol

Oviedo, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

We are heading out for 11 day trip flying into Salt Lake City (1 day) then up to Jackson Hole (1 day) Grand Teton (1day) Yellowstone (4 days) travel the Beartooth Hway to Devil Tower then onto Rapid City (1 day) see Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse, Custer Natl Park and Wind Cave (1 day) down to Cheyenne (1 day) then off to Salt Lake City for the night to fly back home.Will let you know what we loved and what we didn't care for once we return. IF anyone has suggestions to my intinerary please post. Should have mentioned we are staying in YNP the entire visit 1 day at Yellowstone Lake, 2 Canyone Lodge, 1 Mammoth Springs, 1 at Old Faithful. Dinner reservations at Yellowstone Lake and Old Faithful too :)

Edited: 12:27 pm, May 10, 2012
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

Karen, you might want to start your own thread for comments on your itinerary.

Pam

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

As a Wyoming native....I think you'll spend too much time in your car driving at at the end of your trip. To drive from Yellowstone via the Beartooth HWY to Rapid City South Dakota in one day is about 9+ hours. From RC to Cheyenne is 5 hours and then Cheyenne to Salt Lake is another 6. You won't really have time to stop and see anything.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
451 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

I've been to all three areas that you're planning on visiting. I think your game plan sounds good (time at each location). If time permits, try and stop off at the Badlands NP on your way into the Mt. Rushmore area. You could spend a couple days there, but even a quick one hour stop will take your breath away.

Regarding the person from Rapid City who told you to skip Mt. Rushmore, though I completely understand where he/she is coming from in terms of doing a good job at one location rather than rushing through. Again, you could spend a whole day here or only an hour or two. Unless you want to skip SD completely and get to Wyoming via Kansas/Nebraska, there's no reason why you should skip Mt. Rushmore.

Cody is a cute little town. If time permits, not only take in their wonderful rodeo, but their wonderful museum as well. When there, we had two hours to spend in the musuem and though it was a whirlwind, I'm glad I did it. You can't beat the western art. Top notch!

In regard to the cook out, unless you're in dire need of activities (which you shouldn't be), I think you should skip this idea as well.

Your best bet (besides websites) would be to purchase a book on specifically Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (there are many that combine both). It will allow you to read at your own pace, make notes and figure out what you have to see and what you can skip. Frommers makes a good one, but there are many other good choices too.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

How did this itinerary go for you. we are planning a similar trip

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

Thi9nk the OP is planning this for 2013.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Need help with itinerary Mt. Rushmore/YNP/Grand Teton.

thereebs,

We would be glad to help you. Have done this trip plan before. Just start a new post. Thanks!!